Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 6, 2003, 10:30 AM   #1

Default 3, 4, or 5 mp units

hello all. this is my first post. i guess i am a virgin (lol). i am thinking about the following cameras as my first digital camera.

olympus c-750
olympus c-5000

i like the c-5000 because it has higher resolution than the c-750. however i like the idea of the 10x optical zoom. i am sure most of my shots will be upclose but i like to have the zoom option when needed. how important is the megapixel feature? i don't think i will print larger than 8x10 (but you never know). detail and accuracy will be important to me.

i would also consider the panasonic fz10 with it's 12x optical zoom but i am not hearing great reviews on the unit (your thoughts?). i would consider other suggestions as well.

i am sorry for this long post but i am new to this and i want to make the proper purchase. thanks.
lodingi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2003, 2:47 PM   #2

dam. 18 views and no replies? wassup?
Old Dec 6, 2003, 3:20 PM   #3
Administrator

Well, the cameras are quite different. You'll need to decide if you want the extra zoom.

I wouldn't worry about the Megapixels too much. There's not a lot of difference between 4 and 5. Of more importance are things like Lens Quality, Color Accuracy, Noise (similiar to Film Grain), features that allow you to adjust images, camera speed, etc.

Each model with have it's strengths and weaknesses. For example: the Panasonic you mentioned has a stabilized zoom lens.

This can help to prevent blur due to camera shake at higher zoom settings (since even the slightest camera movement can be magnified at higher focal lengths, often requiring a tripod or very good light to allow fast enough shutter speeds to prevent blur).

I'd look at photos from the models you are considering -- perhaps even downloading some and testing how well they print. Also, pay attention to comments on camera performance in the reviews.

Unlike Film Cameras, Digital Cameras generally take longer to focus (there is a lag between when you press the shutter button and when the photo is taken). This varies quite a bit between models, and can also vary depending on lighting conditions and subject contrast.

The same is true for shot to shot times (some models take longer to write the image to the memory card).

Also, don't rely on reviews alone. Go down to a store that has demo models and "test drive" them. See which model you think is a better fit, looking at ergonomics, LCD Display, Viewfinders, control layout, menus, speed of operation, etc.

No one camera is perfect for all shooting conditions.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2003, 5:54 PM   #4

thanks for the info. from what i've read on the various posts, the c-750 produces better images than the panasonic (i haven't seen them). i will look for images from these cameras and see how they print. reviews and posts i've read also say olympus lens are among the best. thanks again.
Old Dec 7, 2003, 3:42 AM   #5

Going on a rant here, but 18 views (now over 60) is NOTHING! You hardly made your question specific...maybe if you mentioned your question was Olympus specific, or asked in the Oly forum you might have less views but reach your target audience. Now that's been said...

There have been some complaints about the quality of pics from the C-5000 here. If your choice is between that and the C-750, you have to decide how much zoom you want. You should also decide what you want to shoot and then pick your camera...say what you want to shoot and then the people here can help you.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2003, 5:56 AM   #6

i understand now. sorry.

i'm sure most of my pics will be family shots (my kids). i also want a camera that takes great shots indoors and outdoors. i figure the 10x zoom will come in handy at my daughter's school functions (plays, recitals etc.). so i guess i'm not limited to the cameras i stated above. thanks.
Old Dec 7, 2003, 6:33 AM   #7

any reasons why u chose those 2 models (both from olympus too)?
there are other 10x zoom cameras out there as well u could consider.

I'm just gathering info on why people would choose those models (i'm a big Canon fan so i'm fairly biased :P)
guild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2003, 8:25 AM   #8

The best Olympus camera, other than DSLR, wold be the C5050. It has the best lens, photo assist lamp and a hot for external flash. It also has very good manual controls. I would pick it over the C5000 any day.

The C750 is a very good ultrazoom canera. All ultrazoom, unless equiped with Image Stablization, require a steady hand or tripod for the long zoom. Ultrazoom cameras do not work as well as the C5050 in low light conditions.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2003, 7:25 PM   #9

i know the panasonic fz10 has image stabilization. i don't generally think of panasonic when i think of digicams. how are their cameras? i just think the ultrazooms are more versatile?

hey guild. i know canon makes good cameras but i don't think they offer an ultrazoom model?
Old Dec 8, 2003, 12:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodingi
i know the panasonic fz10 has image stabilization. i don't generally think of panasonic when i think of digicams. how are their cameras?
Panasonic were smart and they get their optics from Leica. But a big thing about digitals is the CCD and electronics as this is your "film" (and as you can't change the "film" like a regular camera), but some have said they like the picture quality of the C-750 better than the Panasonic.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote