Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 18, 2010, 7:47 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjunkiee View Post
Yup, af-s vrIII
Then you're probably looking at $150,000 and 70 lbs.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 5:19 AM   #22

So the bigger (longer) the lens, would mean has a bigger zoom abilities? Now i understand why all photographers around stadiums have huge lenses!

So for daily photos a kit lens would suit the needs for someone, and then if more specific things need to be captured, a better zoom lens would be needed...
And for the specific needs, a used lens would be ok as well i suppose...
haris_el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 7:18 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by haris_el View Post
So for daily photos a kit lens would suit the needs for someone, and then if more specific things need to be captured, a better zoom lens would be needed...
Absolutely. Find out where your photography will take you before you start spending extra money on stuff you might not use.

Quote:
And for the specific needs, a used lens would be ok as well i suppose...
Actually, lenses are the anvils of photography. There isn't much that can go wrong, and when it does, it's obvious to the most casual observer. So the used market is a great place to save some money. Since I bought my first dSLR, I've bought 10 used lenses and I've never had a problem with a lens because of its prior use.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 12:24 PM   #24

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

Quote:
So the bigger (longer) the lens, would mean has a bigger zoom abilities? Now i understand why all photographers around stadiums have huge lenses!
Well, not exactly. Those huge lenses MIGHT be extra-long-focus zooms, but they're more likely FAST long zooms. A fast long lens is big. Why? An f-stop is a ratio, the ratio of the aperture diameter (the narrowest point of the lens) to the focal length.

Let's say we have a 300mm lens. At f/4, the aperture must be 75mm across (75/300 = 1/4) with an area of 442 cm2. At f/3, it would be 100mm across with an area of 785 cm2. At f/2, it would be 150mm across with an area of 1767 cm2, which is 4x the area of the f/4 lens. So an f/4 300mm lens could be 12 inches long and 3 inches at its narrowest, while an f/2 lens would be 12 inches long and 6 inches at the thin point. Quite a difference! And that's with simplest optics; zoom elements mean more complexity, greater size, more weight.

For example, I have three 70-210 manual-focus zooms of similar age and build quality. Two of them are f/4 and weigh 660g each. The other is f/3.5 and weighs 880g. Just 1/2 f-stop adds 1/3 more weight. A similar 80-200/4 zoom weighs just 550g, while a faster (and more lightly built) 80-200/2.8 weighs over 1500g, almost 3x as heavy and is 1/3 longer, just for 1 f-stop speed advantage.

Are you interested in a long fast lens? I think Sigma has a 600/1.8 that only costs about US$30,000 and and weighs about 50kg. Too much for me...