Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 19, 2010, 1:28 AM   #1

Default Cameras b4 2007 have better pixel density + zoom combinations?

In my efforts to find a new compact camera with long zoom (>10x) and good pixel density, ~20-30MP/cm^2, I discovered that only cameras made in 2007 and earlier have such qualities (Olympus SP550/560, Panasonic Lumix TZ3/5).

These cameras have lower number of pixels and larger sensors, will these cameras of 3 years ago produce better quality images?
wookie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2010, 2:00 AM   #2

They have lower pixel density, but they also preform worst in low light. The current generation of 10-12mp point and shoot have excellent image quality. And can work well at 800iso. While my 2007 point and shoot only work well up to 400iso. So while the current point and shoots are not great low light camera, the older gen camera are even worst. But the question about pixel density is over rated. The 10-12 mp camera take excellent photos, with excellent detail that the high resolution allow them to capture.
Old May 19, 2010, 11:28 AM   #3

Thanks again shoturtle, it's interesting to learn all this.

I saw that my old 2007 sony w70 had a 29MP/cm^2 pixel density and the new zs7 has a 50MP/cm^2, I did not for a second believe that my old w70 can produce anything better than the zs7.

If you don't mind me asking more, if it's not pixel density, then what is it that makes the new generation of cameras have a better quality picture at the same settings (iso/image size)?
wookie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 2:53 PM   #4

More advance sensor design is the biggest reason for the higher quality, and better iso to 800.
Old May 19, 2010, 9:22 PM   #5

Advances in sensors, plus advances in camera processors and firmware have made a lot of difference in just a few years.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote