Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 21, 2010, 5:11 PM   #1

Default Photographing flowers

I have a Canon SD940IS. I'm trying to photograph very light pink colored flowers in my yard but the color gets washed out and they end up looking white. Any suggestion? Will different time of day, or weather condition work better? Thanks
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2010, 5:35 PM   #2
Super Moderator

You should be able to fix this quite easily. Often when shooting flowers the background is dark so if you use evaluative metering then the highlights are blown out as you are seeing.

You have a couple of choices as I don't believe there is a manual mode for exposure on this camera (could be wrong, didn't find the info easily too hand). You can use the exposure compensation and set this to a negative number which will darken the image and bring back the detail, or you can use the spot metering mode, put the centre of the focus point on the flower and then it will take a reading on that. However, this will actually probably give the opposite problem with a light coloured flower and make everything too dark. So have a play with these two options (I think the first will be the best bet) and see how you get on.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 5:38 PM   #3
Super Moderator

yea, i think just dialing it a little bit of negative exposure compensation would be the easiest and most failsafe method.

its the top button on the 4 way controller. the little +/- sign, then press left a few clicks until the flower looks natural.
Old May 21, 2010, 8:40 PM   #4

Another possibility is that the automatic White Balance is reading the flower as if it should be white, and adjusting to make it that way. Try setting your white balance manually to daylight, and see if that helps.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 1:31 AM   #5

Thank you for the great advice! How about weather conditions? Does a bright sunny day or a cloudy day make a difference?
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 8:38 AM   #6

Try to shoot in early morning or early evening. The light is much softer then and it brings out the colors.
donp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 8:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by saly View Post
Thank you for the great advice! How about weather conditions? Does a bright sunny day or a cloudy day make a difference?
Cameras are all about light. What time of day, cloudy, sunny... all make a huge difference.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote