Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 23, 2010, 11:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonya View Post
But, the ones with the flash caused a shadow edge completely around me. Will bouncing a flash solve this "shadow edge" problem? Is the Canon Speedlite 430 ex ii good enough to give me nice results?
Yes the 430ex is good enough. Bouncing will help with shadows, but if there is a wall directly behind the subject you'll still see some shadow - although not as much.

You can see some of my flash examples in the post I linked to in my above post.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2010, 12:32 PM   #12

The idea behind bouncing the flash is to achieve a more general illumination. with much of the light being reflected off the ceiling, it lightens up the area behind the subject, cancelling a lot of the shadows, and this is part of what makes the light seem less harsh - eliminating what TCav calls the 'Velvet Elvis' effect. Many of the bounce/swivel flashes also have pull-out reflector cards for catch light (gives a reflection from the eyes for the sparkling eye effect), and have a focus assist light to help the camera focus when there is not enough light for normal autofocus to work well. I'm not familiar enough with the Canon flashes to know if this is a feature on the 430 ex ii, but it is likely, and I'm sure someone else will know.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2010, 1:12 PM   #13

I must confess that I didn't originate the term 'Velvet Elvis', though I don't remember where I first read it. I do think it is an appropriate classification of the results sometimes obtained with flash (even bounced flash), sometimes on these pages, and sometimes even as exhibits to support the use of flash instead of available light.

Last edited by TCav; May 23, 2010 at 1:59 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2010, 2:19 PM   #14

The 430EX is good enough for shooting kids around the house and birthday parties. It is lighter and smaller than the 580EX. The tilt/swivel head is more useful than the tilt only head on the 270EX. Plus the 430EX has focus assist lights for dim conditions.

You can easily make a bounce card for the 430EX with a white index card and a rubber band.

Example of the 430EX bounced off the ceiling.

dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 7:24 PM   #15

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

Cheap ways to eliminate Velvis: Diffuse the light coming from the onboard flash. A very thin white infant's sock can do the trick. (The sock is thin and white, not the infant!) So can a bit of thin tissue paper, or a translucent pill bottle, or even a clear cylinder. (Keep those lightweight -- we don't want the flash to break off.)

dr.spock,
I have just one flash slave-trigger like your avatar, nameless and acquired cheaply and with no memory. Do you know of a name and supplier? I could use more. Thanks.
Old May 25, 2010, 8:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
dr.spock,
I have just one flash slave-trigger like your avatar, nameless and acquired cheaply and with no memory. Do you know of a name and supplier? I could use more. Thanks.
I bought mine from this online store in Canada http://www.photo-co.com/securestore/c59931.2.html

BH Photo has them too: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Op...6/N/4289309008
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 11:26 PM   #17

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_spock View Post
I bought mine from this online store in Canada http://www.photo-co.com/securestore/c59931.2.html

BH Photo has them too: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Op...6/N/4289309008
Wow, thanks!