Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 27, 2010, 9:11 AM   #11
Administrator

Most cameras disable Autofocus by default during recording with a dSLR. So, in that respect, it doesn't adjust. IOW, if you're shooting a subject that is moving significantly towards or away from the camera, you could end up with Out of Focus movies unless using manual focus during the recording. With most cameras, Aperture is also locked at the start of the recording, which means you lose the ability to control Depth of Field during a movie clip (although some will let you change it at the expense of noise on the clip, most won't).

So, for most practical purposes, you'd want to make sure your aperture and focus are appropriate for the scene at the time you start the recording.

During the recording, the camera can still brighten or darken the scene for your by varying sensor gain. With some Canon models, you can also use Exposure Compensation during a recording and you can enable AF with some of them (like the T1i or T2i), although it's disabled by default to prevent focus noise.

But, with most models like the K-x you're looking at, everything is locked at the start of the recording (except the camera will vary the exposure brightness during changing lighting by increasing or decreasing sensor gain).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 9:15 AM   #12
Administrator

Brian:

You can enable contrast detect AF during recording with some of the Canon models (although it's not continuous so you'd need to press a button to refocus). But, using it can add noise, and because of the way contrast detect AF works (slow, requiring more searching to find correct AF), it's not a great solution. Of course, MF is not an ideal solution either. But, you can do it.
Old May 27, 2010, 9:20 AM   #13

so there is no auto mode in video recording? I though there was

i would have to choose the setting before recording?
haris_el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 9:23 AM   #14
Administrator

It's Auto in the sense it can vary exposure by varying sensor gain versus aperture. But, you'll want to make sure your focus is as desired prior to starting recording with most dSLRs, as most models disable Autofocus entirely while recording a video (although some Canon models allow you to refocus by pressing a button, it's going to add noise from that focusing if you use it).
Old May 29, 2010, 2:01 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Video recording with a DSLR, like general photography with a DSLR, gives you much greater potential quality.

However it requires much greater skill from the user to realise that potential, compared to a P&S camera or dedicated video camera.

Good video filming technique is much harder than good photography. From the kind of questions you are asking I would suggest that you do not choose a DSLR for its video capability.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 3:07 AM   #16

I've watched some clips recorded by dslrs on youtube but I can't tell they are good or not because of youtube's limited quality but I feel like the videos are shaking very much , not like videos recorded buy compacts ,quite smoothly , do you know why?
rosora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 3:38 AM   #17
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosora View Post
I've watched some clips recorded by dslrs on youtube but I can't tell they are good or not because of youtube's limited quality but I feel like the videos are shaking very much , not like videos recorded buy compacts ,quite smoothly , do you know why?
Depends what you mean by shaking. I would look at Vimeo rather than youtube, as if you are a member, on certain videos you can download the original to see what it is like.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 6:03 AM   #18

I mean some compact cameras now have image stabilizer which helps to prevent hand shaking while taking pictures or movies but it seems dslrs dont have that function , movies captured by dslrs are very blur and the motion shakes very much ,I also watched and downloaded some samples on Vimeo, very disappointed .Beside ,I heard that you have to manual focus when taking movies with a dslr , is it true? cause it is very annoying
rosora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 7:47 AM   #19

ive got a D90 and have tried numorous times to take decent video, i know it can be done because ive seen it done by proffesionals, but i believe the reason i cant get it right is because like with photography the pro's use extras like lighting, they use external systems to record the sound, they use a tripod thats on wheels and is able move in a smooth motion, they measure distances and have the focus points marked so they can change them manualy, all these things make for good video none of which i can practicly do.
without these things you get a video with light constantly changing the exposure (unless u lock it) and you get a blured picture because its almost imposible to tell if the subjects in focus using the LED screen, and while youre fiddling with the autofocus and squinting at the screen your wobbling the camera around and making the video look rubbish.
in the end i bought a JVC Evario HM200 full hd camcorder for 220, its great, fits in the pocket and in my camera bag with my other gear, auto focuses quite quick, and it records in AVCHD so can be burned on a dvd and played on a Blueray player.
heres a link to about the best video i took with D90 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dklOS-nsMn8
and heres one to the jvc, although ive not taken many yet with it, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbFHeB8I6JQ
bear in mind that youtube still compresses, so the original vids look much better on a hdtv.

although its nice to think ive got some great lenses that i can use to make video, in my opinion the idea of video on the DSLR is still in its infancy and has quite a long way to go before it becomes really useable for the average photographer

Dave
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote