Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 24, 2010, 12:17 PM   #11

@tcav
yeah now these days we dont have to wait till the photo get processed.we have lcd display,we can edit in our pcs.many of u didnt get this opportunity.its easier to take perfect shots,specially macro shots.
I think im more into macro and black and white photography.i will be needing to practice and study more about these
NiNiKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 12:51 PM   #12

Let me say this about B&W photography. There are lots of ways to convert a color photograph to B&W, but your camera only knows one. Shooting B&W in the camera limits your options, and prevents you from trying some of the others that might turn out better. Shoot color, and convert to B&W in post processing.

For more info, see Case Study: Conversions to Black & White
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 3:17 PM   #13

thankx tcav,the case study was really helpful.previously i used to set my cam to b&w.now i think i should just convert it.which soft do u use for converting?i find photoshop too tough to understand.i only use the filters sometimes.
Can i change the aspect ratio of my pic to 16:9 by editing,not changing any detail?
Old May 24, 2010, 9:52 PM   #14

There are lots of programs for editting images. Irfanview is a good, free application available at irfanview.com. Adobe has Photoshop Elements, Corel has Paintshop Photo Pro, and Arcsoft has PhotoImpressions. They all cost about the same and have free trial editions you can download.

You can change the aspect ratio of any photo by cropping.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 8:01 AM   #15

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

How to improve your photographic skills:

* Study study study. Go to a public library, read everything you can about photography. Read the old TIME-LIFE LIBRARY OF PHOTOGRAPHY series. And read about art, about artistic composition, light and shadow, form and texture, visual narrative. Take basic art and film-making classes, etc.

* Practice practice practice. Not necessarily with a 'better' camera - just shoot, and learn the strengths and weaknesses of what you have, and figure out what you want to do that you can't do with what you have. And edit edit edit - get and LEARN image-editing software (I use PaintShopPro), learn how to maximize the photos you've shot.

* Give yourself assignments: you have a story to illustrate, or a drama or comedy or obsession to capture, or a shape or color or texture to explore, or a mood/emotion or viewpoint to express. Cheat: copy how others have dealt with such assignments. Plagiarism is a good place to start. Then figure out different approaches of your own.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:45 AM   #16

Great advice, RioRico-

Well thought out and practical.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 6:49 PM   #17

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Great advice, RioRico-

Well thought out and practical.

Sarah Joyce
Thank you, thank you very much. [/me buffs fingernails.] I'm just full of this juicy stuff, the fruit of experience. GOOD JUDGMENT: What we learn from experience. EXPERIENCE: What we gain from making bad judgments.

Another trick: Get to really really know a specific basic camera and fixed lens. I just about grew up in my dad's darkroom, but I really LEARNED photography in my mid-20's, when I got an old 1934 German Kodak Retina I folder, the first 135 camera ever, very similar to a newer Voigtlander Vito II that I now use. A sharp 50/3.5 lens, no rangefinder, everything manual: focus, shutter, aperture, period. After a few months I'd learned to judge light and distance, and operation became totally automatic/subconscious. That might seem a bit extreme -- but my first digicam was a 1mpx Sony DSC-P20 with a fixed lens, and it was also quite educational. (I still use it.) The equivalent now might be any decent dSLR in Manual mode, with just one manual prime, used exclusively for a few months. Learn to look and to see and to move. Take meter readings, and know when to override. Don't let the camera outsmart you.

A different trick: Find images (photos, drawings, whatever) you admire. Try to reproduce them, with camera and post-processing. Note why an artist chose their particular angle and light and focus. Then try variations. Some photo books (like the old Alskog/Petersen MASTERS OF CONTEMPORARY PHOTOGRAPHY series) show exactly how many notable photos were made. Steal ideas and tricks from the pros. Then, since this is the post-modern age, quote and manipulate and subvert those ideas and tricks. Knowledge of photo-history is necessary to do this right. Ah, more study...

Don't get me started on pinhole photography, and spectrum slicing, and throwing cameras around to get random shots, and photo-stitching, etc.

Last edited by RioRico; May 25, 2010 at 6:52 PM.
RioRico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 1:57 AM   #18

thanks tcav.
one of my friends sent me a link to download picasa.i did download,its a superb software.now im downloading irfanview.waiting to see how that feels. thank u again,and keep me updated pls
Old May 26, 2010, 2:34 AM   #19

thanks alot riorico.
u gave me a total new idea.actually i cant study that much about photography at this moment as i have to attend classes seminars everyday.when iam back home,i dont have the energy.but i can give myself new assignments as u suggested.i tried to take photos on two selected topic....one, Thorns restricting the way of love.....another,a new hope.both pics were taken from my window.i set my cam to aperture priority mode(f/2.8) and ev was set to -3.after taking 125 shots,2 of them seemed ok to me.can u tell me how could i make these 2 looking better?? i attached the pics
Attached Images

Old May 26, 2010, 2:40 AM   #20

wow..........im feeling jealous again u have had an eventful career.i dont know how i can reach somewhere near that. i have started collecting some great snaps through internet.i will start the duplicating process pretty soon.but still im only shooting with a camcorder with limited manual option.so i think i will have to wait till September to get my slr.still i have the chance to improve my knowledge about photography and of course i will have to borrow many more ideas from u all.u all have been so helpful to me