Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 24, 2010, 1:00 AM   #1

Default want to improve my skills

hi.
i am going to get my first dslr.i already have started to try to learn different photographic skills.i have a canon dc-40 handy cam which i bought 3 years ago.....i took some pics with the 4 mp camera of that handycam...i know,most of the senior members of this site have vast knowledge about photography...i posted some pics....can u tell me what should i do to improve my skills?? i know it sounds weird...but whats lacking in my style of photography?? im eagerly looking forward for ur replies.
Attached Images

Last edited by NiNiKa; May 26, 2010 at 2:33 AM.
NiNiKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2010, 1:39 AM   #2

few more
Attached Images

Old May 24, 2010, 6:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiNiKa View Post
...can u tell me what should i do to improve my skills?? ...
Practice! Practice! Practice!

Quote:
Vladimir Horowitz, the concert pianist, was walking with a friend through midtown Manhattan, when a young man approached them seeking directions. He asked "How do I get to Carnegie Hall?", to which Horowitz replied "Practice! Practice! Practice!" The young man wandered off, baffled by the encounter.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 10:06 AM   #4

when i have to see that my photographer frnds posting divine photos on facebook or guys winning photo of the day at steves or at dpreview,i really feel jealous i know its rather an emotional issue,but isnt there any shortcut? Lol
Old May 24, 2010, 10:07 AM   #5

when i have to see that my photographer frnds posting divine photos on facebook or guys winning photo of the day at steves or at dpreview,i really feel jealous i know its rather an emotional issue,but isnt there any shortcut? Lol.
Old May 24, 2010, 10:10 AM   #6
Super Moderator

well. unfortunately there really is no shortcut. i can see from your photos that you have an eye, the boat shot is pleasingly arranged and you managed not to center your photos too much, which is good.

now you just need to work on getting a real camera so you can stop using the camcorder. and developing your eye for a photo, as well as your technical skill. both come with both practice and with alot of reading and studying photography. there are many tools on the web from forums to guides, etc that you should take advantage of.

all of those great photographs you see on the web, those people for the most part didn't accidentally take them, it took years to get to the point of producing good images consistently.
Old May 24, 2010, 10:50 AM   #7

Also, let me add this: whatever DSLR you buy, leave behind the 'fan-boy' approach to learning photography. If you want to improve your macro shots for instance, post them in a macro forum (here or elsewhere) and get critique from photographers who shoot macro regardless of what system they use. You don't get better by being in a mutual admiration society where every shot taken from a camera in that system is a great shot simply because it was taken by a camera within that system. Each type of photography has it's challenges. You learn best by getting feedback from people who shoot what you like to shoot and do so at a high quality. For a given type of shot, if you see a photographer on this site who has photos of that style that you admire, send them a PM and ask them to critique your shots. The people that seek out and accept real critique (vs. just congratulations) progress much quicker than those who are afraid to hear honest feedback.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 11:29 AM   #8

i find it difficult to decide from which angle i should take the photo.previously i used to think its better to keep the subject in the center and then shoot from the top.but now i can see pics look better when they are taken after i bend down a little and corner the subject in the view finder.i think i have to learn about more angles.
Another thing,i study electrical engineering.so i hardly get time to explore outside my study.i think its a great limitation.
Old May 24, 2010, 11:41 AM   #9

When I bought my first bellows (a lens attachment once used for macrophotography, but no longer), I spent hours taking photos of scenes I found inside an overflowing ash tray. In macrophotography, you can find a subject anywhere, and you'll learn to improve your technique with every shot. And you don't have to pay for film and processing, like I did.

The only thing holding you back is you.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 11:52 AM   #10

@johng
yeah ur right.i actually know very little about photography,blogs,forums.i found this site the most helpful.infact tcav,shoturtle,hards80,sarah joyce helped me very much choosing the ri8 cam for me.i feel so comfortable posting here.i think i should look for more posts and stay in touch with u all