Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 3, 2010, 6:05 PM   #11

The kit lenses do not come with lens hood. So if you do not have them, the step down will work. But if you do have a hood for them or planning on getting a hood. Then you are limited to the thread size filter. The nice thing about the pentax design hoods, is that they have the removable tab for easy cpl operation.

Also if you are planning to add a longer zoom like the DA 55-300mm you will need a 58mm down the road.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:55 PM   #12

While Hoya make superb UV filters (which no one needs) they're not so hot on CP's, see http://www.lenstip.com/115.1-article...ters_test.html plus the later supplemental articles.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 12:02 AM   #13

While I like using a lens hood, I never had a lens with one when I was shooting film. I got good at blocking the sun/light source with a hat, a hand, a lens cap or anything else handy to stop lens flare. A lens hood is a lot easier and also is good for protection if you don't use a UV filter. But someone who is aware of flare can get by pretty easily without a hood, certainly well enough when using a CP.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 12:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The kit lenses do not come with lens hood. So if you do not have them, the step down will work. But if you do have a hood for them or planning on getting a hood. Then you are limited to the thread size filter. The nice thing about the pentax design hoods, is that they have the removable tab for easy cpl operation.

Also if you are planning to add a longer zoom like the DA 55-300mm you will need a 58mm down the road.
I suppose that now, they may come with one, as my 18-55mm kit lens did come with a lens hood. I guess my main question is, is there a notable difference in quality between circular polarizers in the 70-90 dollar price range and circular polarizers in the 40-60 dollar price range. Basically the the less-expensive multi-coated ones vs. the most expensive single-coated ones.

Also, what is the significance of the polarizers labeled "thin"?
doorholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 12:56 AM   #15

'Thin', refers to the mounting threads and holder for the filter. It will be less prone to vignetting than a standard filter.
Probably not a noticeable difference in the price ranges you mention.
Adorama, and B&H Photo have used equipment departments where you can often find good quality filters for a considerable discount. They, as well as KEH.com, tend to be pretty conservative in their condition ratings, as well as having excellent customer service. (I once returned a used lens to Adorama for a refund, and there were no questions asked) If you are on a tight budget, you really can't go wrong.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:11 AM   #16

Personally I do not use the very expensive cpl, as I only use them in certain shooting situation. But if you use them more often, the coating can help cut down on the possible flares and ghosting effect if you are shooting at a very strong light source. As the high grade filter use more complex coating. So you need to be more careful when clean them as not to scratch the coating. The tiffen HT use a titanium mix in their coating so they can be handle like a glass filter.