Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 8, 2003, 6:17 PM   #1

Default Cannon... Is it really all that

I'm needing some help. I just purchaced my wife a Nikon coolpix 4300 camera for Christmas and I was also looking to get her a quality printer. I am have become completley overwhelmed with trying to figure out what printer to go with. She will want to be able to print 4 x 6 photos as well as 8 x 10's. In my research it seems that Cannon is the best thing on the market. Is this so???
If so, Which printer offers quality with out breaking the bank ($200-$400 range)? Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Smitty
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2003, 6:40 PM   #2

its canon. it doesn't go boom. yes they produce very good images but as to it being the best is a matter of opinion
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2003, 12:56 AM   #3
Administrator

I have no reservations in recommending the Canon i860, it will serve you well:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...anon_i860.html

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2003, 8:04 AM   #4

The quality speed and cost of any printer is only the first step. The longer term running cost of paper media and ink cartridges will mount up. If quality is your criteria, start by looking at genuine Canon photo paper and ink costs. Although many use oem's I've found in the past that only the ink and paper from the manufacturer is the best - but not always the cheapest! VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2003, 9:55 AM   #5

I got the Canon i960 for under $200.00 and woud highly recomend it as it is fast, quiet and does an excellent job of printing.
magicmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2003, 9:56 AM   #6

The Canon 960I would be a great printer for you. It cost about $300 at Best Buy.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2003, 12:44 AM   #7

Why is it always best to stick with Canon ink and paper when printing on a Canon printer?
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2003, 2:58 AM   #8

Hi Smitty: In response to: "Why is it always best to stick with Canon ink and paper when printing on a Canon printer?". I have the Canon i950 printer which I consider to be an excellent photo printer but have switched to Red River Paper products to print on. Still using Canon Inks but in my opinion this paper far exceeds the results on Canon Papers that I used. Thanks to Gibsonpd3620 and a few others on this site I switched and only use Red River Ultra Pro Gloss and Ultra Pro Satin. You can order direct from their web site and your order is to you in a few days. Good luck- Mike
Mike Haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2003, 10:35 AM   #9

Hi, I just bought the i960 from Staples. I got it for $199 and Staples was running a promotion for a free $40 gift card (I'll apply toward ink). I like it so far. I am going to try the Red River paper, too, as everyone here recommends. Good luck. Also, I owned HP before and with Canon you can replace the individual ink cartridges. I think over the long run, this will end up saving me some $$$. Just a thought.

Amy
amytude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2003, 11:28 AM   #10

You can order a sample kit from Redriver paper. It provides 30 different types of paper if memory serves me correct. I love the 68lb ultra glossy paper from them.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote