Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 8, 2003, 11:15 PM   #1

Default Samsung vs. Canon

Hello everyone. I am new to the forums, and I need your advice.

I was interested in getting a basic digital camera that has satisfactory movie mode with sound, sharp bright pictures, not too much trouble indoors, bright sharp LCD screen, manual controls would be nice to correct AutoFocus if it does not Focus properly.

I was thinking of the Samsung Digimax 360 (3MP),
Canon Powershot A60 (2MP).

I am aware of most features on both cameras, yet I am wondering how they compare in quality, and your opinions on both cameras.

Thanks in Advance...
knowhow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2003, 11:48 PM   #2

Anyone going to reply? I thought this site was supposed to be helpful. But apparently it isn't what it seems.
Old Dec 9, 2003, 11:56 PM   #3
Administrator

I read your post earlier, but didn't take the time to reply. I should have.

First of all, IMO, there is no such thing as "digital camera that has satisfactory movie mode with sound"

Digital Still Cameras are not designed to be good movie cameras.

Some users like to take short movie clips, but the quality leaves a lot to be desired.

First of all, the Sound Quality is pretty bad. That's because they have very tiny non-directional microphones.

You cannot use the Optical Zoom while recording either (because the mic picks up the zoom noise).

Then, the frame rates cause the movie clips to be very "choppy".

Also, even the slightest camera movement is very noticeable (because there is no stablization system for the video, as in a real camcorder).

Finally, they eat up so much space on the memory cards, that it's really not very practical.

Despite these limitations, some users still like to take short clips. 30 second movie clips at 320x240 resolution and 15 frames per second can still eat up several megabytes of space.

As far as which camera takes better pics, the Samsung is a new camera, and I don't even see any sample photos from it on pbase.com (a large photo sharing web site).

Samsung has a very tiny share of the market, and Canon is the market leader. So, I would take this into consideration.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2003, 8:00 PM   #4

Well, on Steve's DigiCams Sample Pictures for Canon PowerShot A60, the movie clip is quite good. I like taking movie clips for fun or to get a big scene, although the PowerShot can take Panoramas with stich assist.

But I suppose I shall go with Canon, although Samsung seems to come with a case at least :?

Well, Canon also has a bigger lens opening. Yet only 2 Megapixels for the A60.

Whatever.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 9:18 AM   #5
Administrator

I just wanted to set your expectations on a still camera movie mode.

I just finished reading a new post yesterday on another forum, from someone expecting video cam quality movies. They were wondering why the movies looked choppy etc. (at 320x240, 15fps), thinking their brand new camera was broken, or they were doing something wrong.

If you think the movies are fine, great! Some people like 'em.

I personally think the Canon is a better choice. I was not that impressed with Samsungs previous model (Digimax 350SE), from the reviews I've read, and photos I've looked at. Although, because the one you're looking at is so new, I can't find enough photos from it to see if they've made some improvements.

The older 350SE was also a very slow camera by all accounts (again, I haven't seen any tests of the newer one).

I wouldn't worry about a case. They're very inexpensive.

BTW, I've got two friends using the A40 (older 2MP model that preceded the A60), and they're very happy with.

I'd buy the camera that you're more comfortable with. Unfortunately, with a new model like the Samsung, it's hard to say how well it will work, so you'd be taking your chances.

Resolution isn't everything. Unless you need the extra resolution for larger prints, sometimes the lower resolution models can do as well, or better. Metering Accuracy, Color Accuracy, Speed of Operation, etc., are much more important than resolution (or having a camera case bundled with it).

Good Luck with your Decision!
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2003, 8:55 PM   #6

Thank-you for your help JimC!

I think I will get the Canon A60

Well, I tried out the Samsung models today at the local electronics store, they are okay to hold, but suffer in indoor light unless you have flash and set the white balence to Tungsten (or it won't do a good job even in Auto mode). I tried the Canon, and it was excellent. Also, the battery life was way better.

Once again, thank-you!