Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 12, 2010, 1:10 PM   #11

Jim,

Here is the problem I am having... still no luck... I am sorry I am not so computer literate... can you tell me what I am doing wrong, please.

It works here... but when I place in in URL, I get an error message. Or, am I suppose to just do it like I did?

Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 1:29 PM   #12
Administrator

I don't understand the question:

"...place in in URL"

Exactly what were you trying to do when you saw the error? If you were using the paper clip icon to upload the image here, the file is probably way too large (it's over 600KB) for the forums software to downsize it. You wouldn't want the forums software to downsize it anyway, because it would compress it too heavily (trust me, it will make it softer).

You do not want to use the (paper clip) icon unless the image is within the maximum sizes allowed here (and that image is *way* too large for the maximum file size allowed here). The max size for uploading is 253.9KB. The forums software will usually try to downsize and recompress an image if it exceeds that. But, in some cases, it may give up if it's way over the max size allowed, as in that image. You do not want the forums software recompressing your images. It *will* make them softer. So, don't use that feature unless the sizes are within the maximum sizes allowed here

If you mean inserting the image in a post using the (Insert Image) icon, then that photo should work fine (since all that's doing is putting tags around it for display, versus storing it on our servers, and would not modify the image in any way). Again, make sure you remove the http:// that's already in the box that pops up before pasting your link in it. Otherwise, it will end up with http:// in it twice. ;-)

Just make sure it begins with http:// and ends with .jpg and the box is blank before you copy the link to it, and the (Insert Image) icon should work fine. Do not include anything but the real link (do not put [img] in front of it and [/img] after it, etc.) when using the icon for inserting an image.

All that feature does is put [img] in front of the link, and [/img] after the link, just like you can do yourself if you paste a link into your post text. The only difference is that you can see it before pressing preview and you don't need to worry about including the BBCode tags around the link. It just hides the BBCode from you so that you don't have to do it yourself. It does exactly the same thing; and does not modify the image in any way (since it's just displaying an image that's being hosted on another server, versus uploading it to the servers here for storage).

But, I'd really prefer it if you used a bit higher compression ratio with your editor when you downsize images for posting here, as 600KB is pretty large. Keep in mind that a lot of our members do not have high speed initernet connections, and it can take a while to display images with file sizes that large. Also, many members travel a lot and have bandwidth usage based data plans with their wireless providers (using dongles with their notebooks, etc.), and file sizes that large increase their usage costs.

As a general rule of thumb, if you set your editor up to use a JPEG Quality setting of around 8 (on a 1 to 10 or 12 scale); or around 80% (if an editor uses a scale going to 100% quality), that's not going to impact the image quality enough to be noticeable in posts, and you'll get much smaller file sizes compared to that one (it looks like you probably had it set to maximum quality that file size is so large for an image with it's dimensions).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 2:10 PM   #13
Administrator

OK.. I see the errrors you were referring to. You were trying to upload the image to our servers using the the (paper clip) icon (i.e., the Manage Attachments feature here), versus just displaying the image in a post using (Insert Image) icon

It's too large to use the Manage Attachments feature to upload it to our servers (it's *way* over the maximum file size allowed here). The forums software will still try to recompress an image if it's over the limits. That one was probably just way too large. But, even if it did work, it would make the image much softer if it's over the maximum size allowed, as the compression algorithms are way too aggresive if you exceed the maximum sizes allowed, and the library is not the best for downsizing/recompressing images.

You do *not* want to use that feature unless the image size in dimensions *and* the file size of the image are within the set limits (no larger than 1024 pixels on the longest side for dimensions, with a file size that is no larger than 253.9KB).

Originally, we just gave an error to users if they exceeded the maximum sizes shown when they tried to use that feature (and you can see the sizes allowed when you use it), and refused to let them upload it. But, we eventually decided to change it, making use of libraries to try and recompress the images so that if they're over the limits, users can still upload them anyway. But, it doesn't always work if the file size is *way* over the limit (as in that image's case), and if it does work, you're going to get softer images from recompression if they're over the limit.

You can see how large an image is with most browsers if you right click on one (most will have a choice that allows you to look at image properties, includiing the file size).

If an image is over 260,000 bytes (253.9KB), do not use that feature unless you want softer images from recompression and/or errors if they're too large for the forums software to handle. That image is 620,647 bytes (606.1 KB), which is more than twice the maximum file size we allow for uploading attachments to our servers. ;-)

Again, if it's hosted on a server elsewhere, you don't need to use that feature anyway. You can put img tags around it to display it by putting [img] in front of a link and [/img] after a link; or use the icon (Insert Image feature) to do the same thing.

That way, the image isn't being uploaded to our servers at all (it's just displaying the image from the server it's already located on).

If you do want to use the Manage Attachments feature (where the image is being uploaded to and stored on our servers), then you'll want to make sure it's within the set limits for both file size and dimensions. If you set your editor's jpeg quality to around 8 (or 80%, depending on the type of scale it uses for jpeg quality settings), that will usually insure the file size is within limits for an image with dimensions of 1024 pixels or less on the longest side.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 2:24 PM   #14

Well, thanks again for everything... Things are sorted out now. Appreciate your help and patience.

All the best
Old Jun 12, 2010, 2:43 PM   #15
Administrator

The way you did it in that last post will work OK.

Just put [img] in front of a link, and [/img] after a link if you want to do it yourself (pasting the link into your post text); or use the (Insert Image) icon and paste a link into it and you can accomplish the same thing. That allows you to display an image in a post if it's already on another server, without uploading it to our servers.

Then, you don't have to worry about file sizes (although we'd still prefer it if they were smaller than that, as many users don't have high speed connections).

But, if you want to upload it to our servers (using the paper clip icon/manage attachments feature), it will need to be within the max sizes allowed here to prevent issues.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 2:48 PM   #16

Thanks