Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 12, 2010, 6:02 AM   #1

Default Uploading photo problem

Hiya! I have been trying and trying to upload a photo via a URL, I tried six different methods, but when I click "Upload" it tells me that I have inproper file or something of that sort... Can anyone show me an example of uploading via URL, NOT from one's computer.

Many thanks.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2010, 6:40 AM   #2
Administrator

If you can't paste the link into a browser address bar and have it display the image (not the page it's on), then it may be a link to a page with the image on it, versus a direct link to an image file. Does the link end in .jpg or something similar? How are you getting it (right clicking on the image and copying the link location)?

If you're trying to use the upload feature here (paper clip), the file or image size may be too large. The dimensions should not be larger than 1024 pixels on the longest side, with a file size of no larger than 253.9KB. You'll see the maximum sizes shown you when use the feature to attach an image to a post.

If the images are hot linkable and displayable by a browser (jpeg, etc), the easiest way is to put [img] before the link, and [/img] after the link and they will display in the posts where you put those links.

See this page for examples:

http://www.bbcode.org/examples/?id=10

If you use img tags, the sizes are not checked (since you're just linking to the images versus uploading them). But, we still prefer that images embedded in posts be no larger than 1024 pixels on their longest side (so that members don't need to scroll around to see the entire image; as not everyone has a higher resolution display). So, please keep image sizes you link at a reasonable size.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 8:43 AM   #3

Thanks... I was trying to use any of the 5 or 6 ways that "ImageShack" gives.. nothing worked.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 8:55 AM   #4
Administrator

If you're using the paper clip icon to upload an image, it needs to be a standard link beginning with http:// and ending with .jpg

IOW, you don't want to put anything around the link for uploading it. Otherwise, it won't work (those features are looking for the actual links, not links with tags around them).

But, you don't need to use that forum feature to embed an image if it's a public link to an image. Just put [img] before the link and [/img] after the link, and it will appear in a post where that link is (and you can use the Preview feature to make sure it works before posting).

Basically, the forums here allow use of BBCode (as in the page showing examples in my last post). So, you don't need to try and upload the image to our servers to make it display in a post if you use img tags around it by putting [img] in front of the link, and [/img] after the link. Make sure it's a link that lets others see the image if you post it into a browser address bar (it should begin with http:// and end with .jpg). Then, just use [img] in front of that link, and [/img] after that link in posts for the images to display.

http://www.bbcode.org/examples/?id=10
Old Jun 12, 2010, 9:07 AM   #5

Ok, this stuff is still new to me... Trying to take photos, pp them and upload them... well, the quality seems to go out window with forest scenes, especially birch trees... just trying to get my head around this... but thanks for the info.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 9:22 AM   #6
Administrator

If you embed a link to an image on a server somewhere by putting the link to it in a post with [img] in front of it, and [/img] after it, the forums software will not attempt to modify the image (since you're not uploading it to our servers, and only displaying the linked image in a post here).

However, if you use the paper clip icon to upload an image to our servers instead, then you'll need to make sure it's already been downsized so it's dimensions are no larger than 1024 pixels on the longest side, with a file size of no larger than 253.9KB. Usually a jpeg quality setting of around 8 or 80% (depending on the type of scale your editor uses) will make an image that's been downsized to 1024 pixles on it's longest side small enough so that it won't exceed file size lmits. Otherwise (if it exceeds the maximum limits set), the forums software may try to downsize and recompress the image using a relatively high JPEG Compression level (and that *will* make the images look softer). See my comments in the second post in this thread:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...ml#post1026659

So, either make sure the images are within the maximum limits set if you want to upload one to our servers (using the paper clip icon); or just past the link in your post text with img tags around it instead (so that you don't need to upload it to our servers for it to display in posts here). That way (just put [img] in front of the link, and [/img] after the link), it won't be modified by the forums software and you don't need to upload it to our servers for it to display in a post.

IOW, you don't need to use the paper clip icon to upload it if it's already on a site like imageshack. Just paste the link into your post text and put img tags around it (put [img] in front of the link, and [/img] after the link) for it to display in a post.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 9:55 AM   #7
Administrator

P.S.

You can also use the icon you'll see in the toolbar to accomplish the same thing.

When you use it, just paste in a link that starts with http:// and ends with .jpg (and make sure you don't end up with http:// in the link twice, as it defaults starting that way when you use the tool, so you'll want to erase that part before you paste in a link starting that way).

Then, it will put img tags around the link for you and display the image.

Personally, I just put the img tags around one manually instead (versus using the icon in the toolbar.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 10:19 AM   #8

Many kind thanks, indeed, for your help and for taking the time to explain things. It is very much appreciate.

All the best.

Ned
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:00 PM   #9
Banned

You can solve your uploading photo problem as free or premium users. I was having the same photo uploading problem but http://www.******.com services solve my issue by helping me to upload via rapideshare, megauplaod having only one premium account.
softsolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:09 PM   #10
Administrator

softsolution:

We do not allow our forums to be used for commercial purposes (and you obviously joined the forums for the sole purpose of promoting the company linked to in your post).

So, you have been banned and the forums software here is now filtering all links to that site.

We do not appreciate spam here (using our forums to advertise companies, products or services).