Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 14, 2010, 2:13 AM   #1

Default Nikon D70/new lens advice

First off let me say hello. I am new to this forum and also new to my DSLR. I've been having my camera for a few years now, but haven't done anything besides shooting on Auto.
I've been trying the 70-300 lens for shooting baseball games for my kids and I really like it, but I didn't think the angle was wide enough.
I am really considering buying a Tamron 18-270 VC.
I am starting to take swim team pics this year and selling the photos to parents so I want to make sure this will be a great all occasion lens.

Will be vacationing in Arkansas at the Buffalo National River. I've heard it's a beautiful place to photograph and I want to know if the Tamron 18-270 would be a good lens to use. Also, what brand is the best for a UV & Polarized filter? The filters are extremely expensive!! Are there any cheaper brands that work well.

One more thing. Has anyone taken or heard any comments about the NYIP school. Something else I'm looking into.
Wendy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2010, 6:11 AM   #2

Welcome to Steve's, and congratulations on your D70. It's a fine camera.

There are several 70-300 lenses that fit the D70. Can you be specific about which one you have?

For everything short of college and minor league ballparks, the 70-300 should be fine. When you say "I didn't think the angle was wide enough" are you saying that you want something wider to shoot baseball, or or you want something wider to shoot other things?

The Tamron 18-270 VC is one of the best superzoom lenses available, but that's not saying much. In general, superzoom lenses aren't as good as multiple lenses of less ambitious zoom ranges. They have more distortion, more chromatic aberration, and aren't as sharp. They are convenient, but the price of that convenience is reduced image quality. If you want to be able to shoot wider angles, I suggest you look at another lens, and keep using your 70-300 for the longer focal lengths.

Can you describe what other lenses you've got, and what other things you'd like to shoot?

As for the swim team photos, neither the 70-300 you have nor the Tamron 18-270 would be very good. They aren't very fast, and you'll need something faster (with a larger maximum aperture) to get good photos of action indoors.

If you want to use filters, get good ones. Inexpensive filters can reduce image quality by inducing flare, and can cause other problems. B+W, Heliopan, some Hoya and some Tiffen filters are good, and their price is a good indication of their quality.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:07 PM   #3

I certainly do agree with TCav-

The Tamron 18-250mm and 18-270mm lenses are at best compromise lenses that don't do anything very well. Their only advantage is that they are convenient. If you are selling swim team photos, you want reasonable reach and a wider aperture lens to stop the action. Parents love clear sharp action photos. So it is probably time to invest in a good wide aperture lens if you are going to stay with Nikon equipment.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 5:19 PM   #4

Would the 18-270 be good for vacation? I'm looking for one lens convenience for out of town on the water.
Swim meets are held outdoors. Do you have a suggestion what I can use for that plus football and baseball.
My regular camera lens is a Nikkor 24-85mm 3.6-4.5G
I can't afford a lot of money to start, so it has to be a lens that will work well for a great price.
The thing about the Tamron is that right now they have a rebate of $100. I would pay $529 new.
I appreciate ya'lls help. Like I said I am extremely new at this and am still trying to learn the terminology of everything (aperture, ISO, fstop,ect.). A work in progress, but extremely eager to learn! :0)
Wendy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 5:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Lynn View Post
Would the 18-270 be good for vacation?
I'm looking for one lens convenience for out of town on the water.
That's a lot of money to pay for a one time use lens, but if that's what you want, the 18-270 VC is better than the others in its category.

Quote:
Swim meets are held outdoors. Do you have a suggestion what I can use for that plus football and baseball.
For outdoor sports, The Nikon 70-300 VR is a very good choice. Adorama has it for $530. There are better lenses, but they cost more. Anything less expensive might do ok for swimming, but not for baseball or football. (The 18-270 VC or anything like it, will also not do well.) What lens are you using now?

Quote:
My regular camera lens is a Nikkor 24-85mm 3.6-4.5G
That's an excellent lens.

Quote:
I can't afford a lot of money to start, so it has to be a lens that will work well for a great price.
The thing about the Tamron is that right now they have a rebate of $100. I would pay $529 new.
The important thing when shooting sports is the speed of the focus system. The superzooms are very slow to focus. You can use your 24-85 and the 70-300 VR for your vacation. You can't use the 18-270 VC for sports.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote