Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 15, 2010, 11:10 AM   #1

Default Change size of photo for post? How

Hi,
Sorry because I think this has been asked before,, but I can't seem to find the right answer when searching the forum.
I am taking pictures with a 12.1mp, so I know the size is to large to upload on this forum. Do I need to change the size? How do I upload a picture here is the .jpg is to big?

Thanks
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2010, 11:16 AM   #2
Administrator

You'll need to use an image editor to resize the image first. There are many free editors now, and most all of them can resize a photo for you.

If you're using Windows, you may want to try the free Irfanview

After opening an image (File>Open), just go to the Image>Resize/Resample choice and make the longest dimension no larger than 1024 pixels (and around 800 is fine), making sure the box to retain aspect ratio is checked. Personally, I use the Lanczos algorithm for resizing (you'll see a drop down list of choices).

Then, after you resize the image so that the dimensions are smaller, use the File>Save As choice and give it a new filename (so that you don't overwrite your original), selecting JPG as the file type. When saving a JPEG file, you'll see a box pop up with a JPEG quality slider. I'd make it about 80% to keep the file size where it's not too large for an image with dimensions of around 800 pixels on it's longest side.

In order to prevent the forums software from modifying images, they must not be any larger than 1024 pixels on their longest side, and the file size should not be any larger than 253.9KB (260,000 bytes).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 11:29 AM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

If you do exceed the sizes shown as the maximum on the Manage Attachments screens, the forums software is going to try to resize/recompress the images, and that will result in softer images being displayed. See my comments about it in this post:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...ml#post1026659

The forums software will also strip out the EXIF information if you exceed the limits we have set for the maximum allowed sizes here.

So, even though the forums software will try to resize/recompress images if they're not too far over the limits, it's a bad idea to let it (unless you want softer images with no EXIF information in them, since the algorithms used leave something to be desired). ;-)

You're much better off resizing them yourself before uploading them. Then, as long as they're within the limits for both file size and dimensions, the forums software will not modify them.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 12:11 PM   #4

Ok, I just used corel paint shop pro, resize, made it 80%. I think it worked
Attached Images

Old Jun 15, 2010, 12:17 PM   #5
Administrator

I can't tell from looking at it if the forums software modified it or not.

I do see that the EXIF has been stripped out of it (so members can't see the camera settings that were used). But, that may have been done by your software instead.

I don't know if PSP has setup options for retaining EXIF or not. But, a quick search did find a forum thread about a problem in PSP X3:

http://forum.corel.com/EN/viewtopic.php?t=37038

That image is 1024 x 682 Pixels with a file size of 106.01 KB (108,551 bytes). If you right click on the photo on your hard drive and look at it's properties using something like Windows Explorer, you can see if it matches up to the one online. If it's doesn't match up (and it larger than the max limits set), then the forums software changed it. But, I suspect your editor stripped out the EXIF.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 12:25 PM   #6
Administrator

P.S.

Some users prefer to strip it out of images (and an Editor like Irfanview gives you the option of leaving it in or not when you save a file). But, having EXIF info in your photos can come in handy, so that members can see the camera settings used and offer tips.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 12:32 PM   #7

It's 1.36MB(3418x2278)...that was resize at 80%, I just did 70% and it is
714kb(2393x1595)...using corel paint pro x2
Old Jun 15, 2010, 12:44 PM   #8
Administrator

The dimensions need to be no larger than 1024 pixels on the longest side. You need to change the dimensions by resizing the image.

Then, save it as a JPEG file using a quality setting of around 80% (and that should be good enough to keep the file size within limits *if* it's been resized so that it's no larger than 1024 pixels on the longest side).

It sounds like you're confusing resizing with JPEG quality, and you're resizing it to a percentage of the original. So, 70% of the original size is still way too large (your 2393 x 1595 example is 2393 pixels on the longest side). ;-)

That has nothing to do with JPEG Quality settings (which is probably an option somewhere in the setup screens with that software). You'll want to find the JPEG Quality settings slider and change it to around 80% (or around 8 if it uses a 1 to 10 scale instead) to keep the file size small enough after the image is resized to 1024 pixels or less (which you're not doing yet).

The dimensions will need to be much smaller (no larger than 1024 pixels on the longest side). I don't have PSP on this PC. But, you should have an option to resize by dimensions in pixels somewhere. If not, around 25% of the original size should bring it down to less than 1024 pixels on the longest side. But, if the file size is more than 253.9KB, the forums software is still going to modify it. So, make sure it's file size is below that, too (and the JPEG Quality slider you'll find somewhere in your software's setup or screens when saving an image will let you change that by using a lower or higher quality setting).
Old Jun 15, 2010, 3:22 PM   #9

I think I found it, it has re-size image, pixel dimensions, and I changed it to 1024, which change height to 683. I have attached.
Attached Images

Old Jun 15, 2010, 3:39 PM   #10
Administrator

Yes. That worked. The forums software did not modify the image, since it's within the maximum limits allowed for both dimensions and file size, and the EXIF is relatively intact (we can see the camera settings used, etc.). If the forums software would have modified it, the EXIF would not be there (and it's there, so you found the right options for resizing an image for posting here using PSP).