Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 18, 2010, 11:17 AM   #11

JimC,

I noticed that I couldn't see any EXIF info and I don't knoy why. I can see that the "scans" of the Walgreens photos might not have info. But, my originals should. However, there is another thread on this board....Mark2009 posted a photo of a man on a motorcycle. You responded and said you COULD see the EXIF info once he changed the file size and pixels. But, I still couldn't see any EXIF info on that image, either. So, I thought maybe I was supposed to click on a link or something to see it.

As far as my pics, I am 99% sure that the images are all no bigger than 1024 on the longest side and no bigger than 253kb. When I right-click on the original image in this thread, I do see that size info. So, I don't know why the EXIF info isn't there. I even went into PSP Photo X2 and the box IS checked for "Save EXIF information" when I save. There are some other options (standard, progressive, and lossless encoding). I don't know what that should be set on.
tonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2010, 11:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave01 View Post
i can see what you mean about being dark. in my opinion what these places do is setup the machine from the first print and then just run your job through it they do not look at each print before it is printed.
i would look at your prints and find one that looks good and that was probably the first of your batch. the only way o get good prints is from a proper lab.

Where is a proper lab? For someone like me who just takes family pics and not really looking for anything other than 4x6 prints?
Old Jun 18, 2010, 11:32 AM   #13
Administrator

You have to use an EXIF reader to see the EXIF.

A pretty good one is PhotoME (shows you more detail than most of them):

http://www.photome.de

I've got multiple EXIF readers installed on my PC (including several browser plugins so that I don't need to download images to see the EXIF info).

If you don't see it in the photos on your hard drive (excluding the scans, since they wouldn't have any), then something in your workflow process is stripping it out (and if the file size or dimensions for an image you upload are over the limits for posting here, then the forums software is going to strip it out).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2010, 4:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonya View Post
Not so worried about the color (it seems more noticeable after resizing). My main concern is how the developed pictures are dark (especially people's faces). Their faces were not dark on the originals.

Picture 2 is a scan of the Walgreen photo. Notice extreme darkness of face.
Picture 2b is my original file, resized.
Hi Tonya,

My take is that the problem is Walgreen's excessive auto-correction on your photos. Too much auto contrast. I took your original photo and applied excessive levels adjustments in Photoshop but did not apply any color adjustment. Here's the result:

Note how the white areas of the wave are blown out just like in the Walgreen's photo. Similarly, note how the child's shirt is too dark with loss of detail similar to the Walgreen's photo.

Ask Walgreen's to turn off auto correction or try another photo processor.

Sky
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 1:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
You have to use an EXIF reader to see the EXIF.

A pretty good one is PhotoME (shows you more detail than most of them):

http://www.photome.de

I've got multiple EXIF readers installed on my PC (including several browser plugins so that I don't need to download images to see the EXIF info).

If you don't see it in the photos on your hard drive (excluding the scans, since they wouldn't have any), then something in your workflow process is stripping it out (and if the file size or dimensions for an image you upload are over the limits for posting here, then the forums software is going to strip it out).

I do see the EXIF info on my hard drive....just not on this thread. But, when I right-click on the thread photos and select properties, I see that they ARE within the specified size limits for this site. So, I'm at a loss? Can YOU see the file size and pixels on my thread photos by right-clicking? Any suggestions for a good photo lab? When I use PSP Photo X2, I adjust according to what I see on my monitor. I wish it was simple so that what I see on my monitor is what I get
Old Jun 19, 2010, 1:31 PM   #16
Administrator

What do you see when you right click on them and look at properties for the ones that have EXIF on your PC (can you copy and paste the results)?

For example, what do you see when you right click on the downsized 3B photo in this post (on your PC, not here in the forums)?

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ne...ml#post1109036

Are you sure you see EXIF in it on your PC if you open that downsized image with something like PhotoME?

Are you sure you're selecting the same files for uploading when you browse for them?
Old Jun 19, 2010, 1:40 PM   #17

Retrying to see if EXIF data is there. I found a second box to click in PSP X2 to save exif data. Can you see it now?
Attached Images

Old Jun 19, 2010, 1:40 PM   #18
Administrator

That one has EXIF.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 1:44 PM   #19
Administrator

Note that it is sRGB.

So, it's something Walgreens is doing wrong causing the color and brightness shifts (probably some type of Auto Correction they're using). Interestingly, I use them here and they seem to do a pretty good job.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 1:45 PM   #20

So, what should I do next time to get good prints? Do you recommend any particular place? By the way, thanks for taking the time to help me with this