Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 19, 2010, 1:49 PM   #21

Just realized you asked for pic 3b. Here it is, hopefully with EXIF info.
Attached Images

tonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 2:41 PM   #22
Administrator

I've had better luck with Walgreens than I have other similar stores down here. Ritz, Wal-Mart and similar shops usually do worse with my photos.

It's probably a matter of how the machines are calibrated and maintained and the skill of the operators working with them.

As someone else mentioned, it may also be because they're trying to correct your images. I'd ask them if you can have them printed without any correction.

You may also want to check the yellow pages under Photo Finishing for your area and see if you can find a professional lab that does a better job
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 2:56 PM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Just realized you asked for pic 3b. Here it is, hopefully with EXIF info.
Yes, that version of it has EXIF info in it. The first one you posted of 3b does not. I was just picking one that looked properly exposed and giving you the number. Either one would have been fine (I was just looking to make sure the image wasn't being tagged with a color profile that could be throwing things off).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 7:37 PM   #24

I took a look again, and opened your photo in my photo editor. Using the 'auto levels' setting, it does turn it quite dark and contrasty. This is likely due to the scene being very light to begin with. I would agree that the printer is using some auto adjustments which are causing most of the problem. The color issue is something else, and it may be that the printer is out of calibration. This has happened to me on occasion as well - I got a set of prints that were very dark and had a green cast to them, and the highlights detail was completely gone. This was from film negatives, and after I showed the print shop the negative and the prints, they reprinted at no charge.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 11:51 AM   #25

Hi, Tonya.

I just finished doing a personal evaluation of three internet places for getting snapshots printed. This is not scientific, but works for me:

1. SnapFish. Cost: $0.09 per 4x6 plus S/H. This place is the pits. They blast the saturation to the max and clip every image. If it was intended to be 4x6, they still overlap the edge more than the other places, so you often get people's heads clipped off. The only resizing option they give you is, if you use a p&s camera and don't edit your photos, they will let you get 5 1/3x4 instead of 4x6. But they will not give you the option to have the full photo printed, leaving white-space as necessary. If you edit a photo (straighten or crop), you are going to get a lot of loss in one direction so that the other direction has their standard minimum 1/4" or so off each side. These guys suck.

2. WinkFlash. Cost: $0.08 per 4x6 plus S/H. This place is quite decent. I opted for them to not make any adustments to my exposure settings (you can choose either, but this made the most sense to me) and to have them print the photos so that there would be white space as needed with edited images. They did a very good job -- the colors were quite true to what I had set and there wasn't any cropping that I didn't want. These guys are good and cheap in my experience.

3. Adorama. Cost: $0.19 per 4x6 plus S/H. Since this was a premium service, I opted to let these guys adjust my photos as they saw fit (again, an option). These guys do a very good job. I submitted a few images that could be problematic to each of the services for my test. These guys were the best of the lot in every one of the images. They pulled out every last bit of detail that they could in my dark images; they adjusted the balance on photos with people's faces in shadow so that the faces were much better illuminated than in the other two services, they sharpened up images that were a tad flat so that they "popped" more, etc. They really appeared to give individual attention to each photo. At this price, I'm sure they couldn't have done that, but whatever program they're using is really very, very good. If you want your photos to look as good as possible, this is the service to choose.

For most of my photos, the difference between WinkFlash and Adorama was quite subtle. I had prepared these photos beforehand in my usual way, so they weren't just a dump of snapshots. But every one presented a challenge for proper printing. In general, SnapFish flunked every test, WinkFlash passed every test, and Adorama aced each test. FWIW.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 8:49 PM   #26
LEK

That's interesting information. I still bring my photos into a local photo shop and I think they do a really good job, but it's $.49 per 4x6 photo which gets pricey to print alot of photos. I think I may do some comparison between Adorama and my photo shop some time.
LEK is offline   Reply With Quote