Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 22, 2010, 4:17 PM   #11

for portraits i would be tempted for a canon 85 prime lens then look for a short zoom for landscapes
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 1:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave01 View Post
for portraits i would be tempted for a canon 85 prime lens then look for a short zoom for landscapes
I agree!
Also, another great lens is the 50mm f/1.8 II ... it is very cheap (only $99) ... regardless of the camera used (Canon, Nikon etc) a 50mm f/1.8 lens is always a great lens to have ... its almost a crime not to own one!
Current Gear: Canon 7D+BG-E7 Battery Grip & 60D with EF 24-105 f/4 L IS; EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II; EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS; EF 100 f2.8 L IS; EF 50 f/1.8 II; Canon Speedlite 430 EX II; Metz 58 AF-1; Canon RC-5 Wireless Remote Controller & RS-80N3 Remote Switch; Manfrotto 190CX PRO4 with Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Ball Head; Kenko Extension Tube Set; B+W UV & Polorizing filters
rienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2010, 1:44 PM   #13

Y'all have given me far more ideas than I can take in right now!
DandyTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 3:30 AM   #14

the Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 Lens would be better for considertion
Old Jul 21, 2010, 8:12 AM   #15

I use the Sigma 10-20 as I take a lot of interior shots as a Realtor. Usually available light, ISO 400 with tripod. I like the lens, BUT it is probably one of the more difficuly lens to use. Composition is critical to control perspective distortion at the wide end. This would be true with all ultra-wides. Even after a learning curb and composing the best possible, still requires post processing.

If you are not ready for that, would delay the 10-? or 12-? and look more at the 17-? which would provide a solid wide angle. While your A80 would go down to ~38mm, the 17-? will go to ~28mm, giving you a little wider coverage that should assist with landscapes.

Was a little confused with your statement "I realized I do an awful lot of inside shots, trying to tell the story, showing the room behind my subject." Obviously, I do not have a subject in my room photos because the room IS the subject. Putting a person in would distract from the subject. You may need to thing of that in reverse - is the person the subject, and is more room distracting from the subject. Just a thought.

Looking at that picture on Flickr, unfortunately the EXIF data is missing and nothing in the comments (or the account) about her equipment or what was used for that specific photo. Looking at it, an ultrawide angle was NOT used as there would be significant distortion that close to the face and depth of field probably would not have been that shallow as I look at the blurred background. That looks like was taken with a normal lens, fairly wide open, then significantly cropped for almost panaramic photo dimensions.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 7:47 AM   #16

If I possessed a lens for my DSLR that was inferior to a lens on a Canon A80, I would get rid of it and never again buy a product bearing that brand name. I love the Sony DSLR's but their Chinese kit lenses are crap. I use only Minolta Maxxum lenses on my Sony A200 as they are all excellent Japanese glass.
100-300mm Minolta Maxxum APO Zoom
70-300 Sony apo G SSM Zoom
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 3:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
If I possessed a lens for my DSLR that was inferior to a lens on a Canon A80, I would get rid of it and never again buy a product bearing that brand name.
I had to smile when I read that statement. My worst and best lenses bear the same brand name. My worst lens is really bad, softer than most modern point and shoot lenses and was most likely made in the early 1980's (it had belonged to my father). My best lens is modern, I bought it barely a year ago. Both these lenses were made in Japan (though I'm not 100% sure about my best lens). So all manufacturers have made good lenses and bad lenses over the years, and brand name has little to do with indicating lens quality. Price is a better indicator, though that's not always accurate either.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 4:30 PM   #18

Anything below 15mm costs a lot; I recently (and briefly) had a Sigma 17-70mm and it is a wondefully sharp and versatile lens...however my copy had an AF problem so I returned it for a refund and am looking to get a replacement. The optical quality of the lens makes it a worthwhile consideration!