Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 23, 2010, 8:22 AM   #1

Default cheat sheet??

where can i find a printable cheat sheet for manual settings in typical light situations. for instance, low light = f2.8 + 1/250 and flash..........etc. i think that will give me some idea of where to start if am just shooting i the back yard or wherever.
themadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2010, 9:19 AM   #2

I've got a better idea! Use your camera's autoexposure system!

It's more accurate than any 'Cheat Sheet' would be.

Is there a particular reason you considered that and decided against it?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 9:33 AM   #3

just thought it maybe easier than going into mode, writing down the settings, and then switching to manual and trying to replicate it. a general cheat sheet for common lighting situations that i could print and toss somewhere close by to reference would just be convenient when playing around with my new cam. sort of idiots guide to exposure. i googled it and found a few things but they were a little vague, i'm a newb, what can i say...
Old Jun 23, 2010, 9:45 AM   #4

Why would you want to switch from Auto (or whatever), that gives you appropriate exposure settings, to Manual? Let the camera do the grunt work while you work on composition, and as you progress you can learn to fine tune the exposure system (with matrix vs. center weighted vs. spot, exposure compensation, program shift, etc.) to get exactly what you want.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 9:51 AM   #5

i tend to do things somewhat backwards i guess. i feel like if i get a grip on manual settings, then composition and "getting what i want" will be second nature. i am really interested in street shots and candids. those shots compose themselves in a way. also abstract art/photography is a goal of mine. similar to this........

http://www.xmarkjenkinsx.com/outside.html
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadness View Post
... i am really interested in street shots and candids. those shots compose themselves in a way. ...
... but for that, exposure settings will change wildly from one shot to the next, in ways that a simple cheat sheet won't help you. You can certainly experiment, but no cheat sheet will help you with that either.

And the exposure system doesn't turn off just because you're in Manual mode. It's still there letting you know what exposure settings it would use.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadness View Post
where can i find a printable cheat sheet for manual settings in typical light situations. for instance, low light = f2.8 + 1/250 and flash..........etc. i think that will give me some idea of where to start if am just shooting i the back yard or wherever.
A few months ago (when I bought my 7D) I too searched for printable cheat sheet but couldn't find any, but I came across this website http://www.photocheatsheets.com/ and ordered cheat sheets from them ... I paid $7.95 each for (Canon 7D & 430EX II SpeedLight) ... they only charged me $2.50 for shipping them all the way to the middle east ... I received a laminated foldable cheet sheet in just 4 days (very impressive) ... you may want to give them a try ... also try this site you may find something you like http://www.thephotoargus.com/resourc...u-life-easier/
Current Gear: Canon 7D+BG-E7 Battery Grip & 60D with EF 24-105 f/4 L IS; EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II; EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS; EF 100 f2.8 L IS; EF 50 f/1.8 II; Canon Speedlite 430 EX II; Metz 58 AF-1; Canon RC-5 Wireless Remote Controller & RS-80N3 Remote Switch; Manfrotto 190CX PRO4 with Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Ball Head; Kenko Extension Tube Set; B+W UV & Polorizing filters
rienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:09 PM   #8

There are only about two situations where a cheat sheet values are better than metering, fireworks and moon pictures simply because they can't be metered very well and most P&S and DSLRs have a built in cheat on fireworks within their scene modes. Otherwise, as TCav suggested the quickest cheat is the cameras built in meter coupled with using the EXIF data and histograms while evaluating your results.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:17 PM   #9

I did an image search on google for "exposure guide" and came up with page after page of them. Most of these are old so remember "film speed" or "ASA" translates into "ISO"
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote