Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 10, 2003, 1:26 PM   #1

Default Newbie alert. What's a good replacement for Sony DSC-S70?

:shock:

I've been researching cameras as a gift for my fiancee the past couple of weeks. My parents have the Sony DSC-S70 that is two or three years old and its image quality is excellent.

I'd like to purchase something similar in image quality and features. I'd buy an S70 if I could but I'm having a hard time finding one because of the model's age. Also, I'm assuming there are other negatives to buying an older model camera?

The S70 has a Carl Zeiss lens on it, while the newer models at that price range seem to all come with plastic lenses and a cheaper feeling case and buttons.

If anyone could suggest which Sony camera would be the closest in image quality and features, I would much appreciate it.
IndySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2003, 3:19 PM   #2
Administrator

Probably the closest current Sony model you're going to find to your older S70 is the DSC-V1 (although some users find it ergonomically challenging). It's image quality is rated very high.

The next step up is the DSC-F717 (much larger camera, similiar to the older DSC-F505).

I would personally avoid the smaller, pocket sized Sonys.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2003, 8:44 PM   #3

Thanks for the suggestion. A bit more than I was wanting to pay unfortunately. I'm trying to read old threads to find out why you'd stay away from the smaller Sony's. Any personal opinions you'd like to share?
Old Dec 11, 2003, 10:26 PM   #4
Administrator

Well, if you REALLY want to know...

Yes, I bought a Sony DSC-P10 earlier this year. It had a very sharp lens, but it did seem to suffer from metering inaccuracies. Back to Back shots in the same conditions would come out totally different.

It also tended to have "flourscent greens" in some lighting conditions, and overexposed many outdoor shots (which may have been what made the greens look artificially bright at times).

Indoor metering was much worse. It was extremely difficult trying to get good photos from it consistently.

Also, the ergonomics made it very awkward to hold and shoot. I found myself trying to block the lens (because it's on one side of the camera) trying to hold it with two hands, and tilting my photos trying to hold it with one hand.

I ended up returning it.

I then searched for and found a Konica Revio KD-510z (I bought a Japanese model, two weeks after it was released in Japan. I've had it since mid July.

I've been quite pleased with it.

This is the same camera as the Minolta DiMAGE G500 (which is now shipping in the U.S.).

BTW, it also uses Sony Memory Sticks (original memory sticks only, not the new MS Pro). You can have both a Secure Digital Card and Memory Stick in it at the same time (you tell it which card to use first, and when it's full, it automatically switches to the other card).

I know of 3 Sony DSC-F707/DSC-F717 users that have bought this model as a second camera (it's pocketable), and they all like it. One of them also had a Sony DSC-P8 that he returned (3MP version of the Sony P10 that I returned). He's much happier with his G500 now.

You can see some photos from mine at http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/konica_kd510z

The Minolta G500 is selling for just over $300.00 now discounted from most online vendors. I'd recommend jandr.com if you want to try it. They've got a 30 day return policy with no restocking fees, and have it for $328.88 including shipping now with a free camera case. You have to add it to your cart to see the price.
Old Dec 12, 2003, 12:34 AM   #5

Jim,

Thanks for all the info. Its appreciated.

I looked into the V1 after reading your post and found some more reasonable prices through online vendors. Then you mentioned the G500 and after comparing images from both cameras, I'm back to being undecided.
Old Dec 12, 2003, 8:30 AM   #6
Administrator

Well, the V1 is going to be a better camera from an autofocus/shutter lag perspective. It's using a fast laser assisted "hologram" focus system. It also has a built in hot shoe for external flash, ability to use add-on lens accessories, a longer focal length, etc.

However, it will cost you a lot more, and it's not as small. There are pros and cons to both choices.

I specifically wanted something I could carry in a pocket. The G500 is perfect for that (although it is a little larger/heavier than some of the other pocketable cameras).
Old Dec 12, 2003, 11:05 AM   #7

I think the V1 will be a good fit for our needs.

Staples offers 110% price matching on the V1 and I'd trust them more than an online dealer I'm not familiar with. The only problem is they only price match to websites that have a physical store somewhere in the U.S.

If anyone knows of a shop like this that has a good price on a V1, I'd very much appreciate it. In the mean time, I'm busy hunting down websites. Be vewwwwy vewwwwy quiet...

Thanks!
Old Dec 12, 2003, 11:12 AM   #8
Administrator

Well, JandR has a NYC store, but they don't advertise the lower price. You have to add it to your cart to see it:

http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.p...uct_Id=3702659

BTW, they are a very reputable dealer, and have a 30 day return policy, if you decide to buy online instead.