Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 24, 2010, 5:43 AM   #1

Default Can I have a Telescope?

I have my first DSLR comming to me in the mail. Its a Pentax K-x. anyway do cameras have telescope attachments? is there anything I can use to see stuff like the moon or other planets?
Trihame is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2010, 6:15 AM   #2

Until an expert comes along with a more definitive answer, try looking up digiscopes. I think they do exactly what you want.

[Edit - try reading here: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/di...microscopy-64/]

Last edited by MartinSykes; Jun 24, 2010 at 6:18 AM.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 8:51 AM   #3

With a DSLR, you have a lot of options. Many telescopes are able to use T-mounts where the eyepiece of the scope goes. With this, and the proper T-mount adaper for your camera, you can use your telescope as a camera lens. There are also lenses made in long focal lengths which will give you views of the moon which will nearly fill the frame.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 9:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trihame View Post
I have my first DSLR comming to me in the mail. Its a Pentax K-x. anyway do cameras have telescope attachments? is there anything I can use to see stuff like the moon or other planets?
You can have a telescope. If you have one already, maybe you can
get a mount for your Pentax. If you don't have a telescope, maybe you
could get a suitable lens instead. Either way, good quality optics with
a long focal length are expensive.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 5:41 PM   #5

can get some really good telescopes for a 1000 but they have a fixed aperture cheap ones usually f8 or smaller - good ones think you can get them down to about f4 - then as mentioned a t-mount adapter and your good to go

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-...ostar/p1009415

an f4 1200mm lens if you could find such a think it would cost 10k or more easily and frankly this thing could well be 2000mm - sadly deson't actually say - but unlike a lens you can change the aperture and you will get donut bokeh but for taking photos of stars and planets thats really not a problem

a lens that would give you this amount of magnification is gonna cost way way WAY more if you can even find one

been thinking about this myself but dont think i do enough astrophotography to warrent the cost over my 150-500mm sigma lens
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 5:45 PM   #6

The one problem you will have with your Pentax Kx is DFS or Dark Frame Subtraction. What this is, that during a long exposure - greater than 10 seconds or so, the camera will take the exposure, and then take a second exposure of the same duration, then subtract the two. What this does is reduce the noise and hot pixels. Other camera makes give the user the option for performing a DFS after each image, or just when you want. The bottom line is if you take a 30 minute exposure, the camera will take another 30 minute DFS, thus your time between exposures will be 60 minutes in this case.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 6:19 PM   #7

yeah is annoying that - keep hoping that will get a firmware update to give us the option of when to do it

but for things like the moon at least its not a problem since its bright and can be taken on very short exposures
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote