Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 6, 2010, 7:51 AM   #1

Default so what exactly do aperture and shutter priority modes do?

i think i know what they are supposed to do according to my cam's manual. but when i make adjustments in either mode there arent any changes in the images. i am confused a bit.......

btw i am using a fujifilm s8000.
themadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2010, 8:12 AM   #2

Aperture priority and shutter priorrity allow you to pick an aperture or a shutter speed, respectively. Which ever you choose, the camera will automatically select the other so as to get a proper exposure. So, no, you won't really see any changes in your photos.

Unless you know what to look for. If you select a large aperture (numerically smaller), the image will have a shallow depth of field (foreground and background elements will be less well focused.) (Plus the shutter speed will be faster.) If you select a small aperture, you'll have a deep depth of field (all the elements will be in focus.) (Plus the shutter speed will be longer, so you may get some motion blur.) If you select a fast shutter speed, you'll freeze motion. (Plus the aperture will be larger, limiting your depth of field.) If you select a longer shutter speed, objects in motion will be blurred. (Plus the aperture will be smaller, giving you a greater depth of field.)

You won't notice the differences unless you make some drastic adjustments, but when you see what happens, and want to apply what you've seen, the aperture and sutter priority modes will become more useful.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 8:49 AM   #3

will the ability to make changes to the settings be directly related to the lighting conditions? i have notice in certain light situations the camera will only allow 2 or 3 stop changes in either direction. for instance, in low light the camera will only allow me to move from f2.8 to f5 but has the ability to go to f8. is that just a camera limitation??
themadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 9:50 AM   #4

The light metering function is trying to warn you that the selection you want may result in an under- or over-exposed photo. Your camera limits the selection, other cameras only provide a warning.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 9:53 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nichol View Post
The light metering function is trying to warn you that the selection you want may result in an under- or over-exposed photo. Your camera limits the selection, other cameras only provide a warning.
Is it that or is it that at wide angle the camera can't use f8..... I'm honestly not sure but just a guess?

What happens in low light if you use the long end of the lens, is there the same limitation.... actually what happens if you try f8 in daylight when wide?

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 10:06 AM   #6

Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority modes are autoexposure modes. If you try to use an aperture (for instance) and the camera won't let you, it's because it can't adjust the other setting enough to get a proper exposure. See page 58 of the S8000 Owner's Manual.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote