Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 9, 2010, 10:38 AM   #11
Administrator

Another way to have copies of images is to use one of the Personal Storage Devices around. These have card slots with an internal drive that can let you copy a memory card's contents. Then, plug it into a USB port on your PC and copy the stored files when you get home. You'll find a number of them here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/St...9/N/4287966885

But, if you already have a laptop or netbook, I'd probably just bring it along and store extra copies of your images on it (and even upload them to cloud based storage, your PC at home, and/or to your favorite photo printing service as an added safeguard in case your laptop/netbook is stolen, lost or damaged). Note that many Photo Printing services can also burn uploaded images to CD for you (ditto images you bring to them on a memory card).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2010, 11:03 AM   #12
LEK

I'm really leaning towards getting a personal storage device. Thanks for that link, it's very helpful. My laptop is rather large at 17" and we often travel to multiple locations on a trip, leaving our luggage in the trunk till it's time to check in. I just don't want to treat the laptop that way, the portable device is so much more manageable. If I can find one around $200 or so with a good reliable reputation I think that's the way to go for me. I was thinking of using my IPOD with a camera connector too, but have read mixed things about doing that...
LEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2010, 11:38 AM   #13
Administrator

You can find smaller netbooks at reasonable prices, too; and they would give you more functionality (so you could upload files somewhere else via the internet when you find a hotspot for wireless; giving you an extra backup in case the netbook gets damaged or stolen).

Some are relatively small and easy to take along. For example, I've got a little Eee PC I bought a few years back that I bring with me when traveling . It's keyboard is pretty bad though (too small for me, as I tend to "fat finger" the keys). They're smaller than they appear to be in photos, so try them out in a store.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2010, 11:22 PM   #14

When I travel I always carry a wolverine flashpack7000 series device with me instead of a laptop because of bulk and also security of feeling safe not leaving it in hot trunk of car or in hotel room. The wolverine devices come in 60GB and up sizes (I use the 160GB size -- used the wolverine to back-up two out of town weddings I did for family and a trip to the Baltimore Fire Rescue Expo in 2007 which produced over 3,000 images that week). I always download to that at the end of each day or mid day if I am taking loads of photos. The wolverine is small enough to fit in the camera bag and never leaves my sight when I am on vacation. Just remember the charger as the charge doesn't last forever.

When in Aspen seek out the Wheeler Opera House for a good photo op and maybe you'll be luckily enough to run across John Sommers (John Denver fame) or other John Denver stuff..... Aspen was John's hometown for years....... I've seen photos of the mountains there with their trees and they are very beautiful sites to see, so you might want to try to capture that.........

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote