Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclune View Post
Just a terminological point. Graduated does not mean that the change is gradual. There are two kinds of graduated neutral density filters -- one is a sharply-demarcated filter with a dark half and a clear half. These are intended to be used in, e.g., photos of sunsets over the ocean, where there is a sharp horizon line. The more common (and more useful) GND is the gradual one. But both kinds are called "graduated neutral density filters."
The kind of filter with the sharp demarcation is usually referred to as a half-filter. They are available in half ND and half color. Graduated does actually mean there is a gradual change.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 1:47 AM   #12

The problem with both a GND and CPL is that you can't adjust them when you've got a lens hood on, and sometimes a lens hood is more important.

That leaves HDR or some other method of post processing to restore the detail in the shadows:
Attached Images

TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 5:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
The kind of filter with the sharp demarcation is usually referred to as a half-filter. They are available in half ND and half color. Graduated does actually mean there is a gradual change.

brian
Brian, I know that you are quite knowledgeable. So it occurred to me that I may simply have been using terms incorrectly all my life. I Googled to see what I could find, and was unable to find anything about half-filters. However, there was no shortage of information on "hard edge" and "soft edge" graduated neutral density filters. This Wikipedia page is as good as any: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graduated_ND_filter For a use of the terms by a manufacturer, you could try here: http://www.singh-ray.com/grndgrads.html

You may have been referring to something other than these things, but this is what I was attempting to communicate.

TCav: I address the problem of adjusting a GND when it's on the camera (I have a hard time seeing the dark/light sides at all, even without a hood, when it's on the camera) is by painting the outer ring with white nail polish around the clear half of the filter.

Last edited by tclune; Jul 12, 2010 at 7:20 AM.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote