Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 13, 2003, 10:40 AM   #1

Default Which digicam?

Hello again! My friend asked me which digicam should he choose, he want make landscape, and night photos... maybe macro... and he want to spend about... 500$-650$... Can you help him?!?
t0ur4ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2003, 5:39 PM   #2
Administrator

You'll find many models in the price range -- just as you would find many automobiles in a $20k - $25K price range.

Your requirements are too vague to get any useful responses.

You'll find a wide variation in Physical Size (you'll find anything from pocketable cameras to much larger cameras), Flash Range, Ability to use add-on lens accessories, models with or without a hot shoe for an external flash, different resolutions (3MP, 4MP, 5MP), dramatically different performance (autofocus and shutter lag, shot to shot times), varying amounts of user control, etc.

No one camera is perfect for everyone's needs.

I'd try to find out more about what size camera he'd be comfortable with, what he means by "night shots" (long exposures on a tripod or otherwise), what size prints he's going to need (for selecting resolution), what kind of focal range (wide angle to zoom capability), if he cares about a cameras peformance, etc.

For example: I've got a Konica Revio KD-510z (a.k.a., Minolta DiMAGE G500). It's a 5 Megapixel Subcompact Camera that will fit in a pocket. It's also got a Manual Exposure Mode with exposures up to 15 seconds, with Automatic Noise Reduction on Exposures 15 Seconds or Longer, and a 3x Optical Zoom. So, it could be used for these purposes.

However, it's maximum wide angle setting is equivalent to 39mm, and it's maximum zoom setting is equivalent to 117mm. So, for someone wanted a wider wide angle lens, it wouldn't be the best choice. For someone wanted to take photos of distant subjects, it may not be a good choice either (they may want a longer zoom). It also cannot take any teleconverter or wide angle lens attachements.

It also doesn't have a hot shoe for an external flash, and it's F2.8/F4.9 lens may not be as good for existing light photos without a flash or tripod as some other models. It's continuous mode is slower than some other cameras too, at 1 photo every 1.27 seconds maximum.

There are pros and cons to any camera choice.

Could it serve for landscapes and night photos? Sure it could. Would it be the best choice? It all depends on the other features a user may want. For me, it's great. For someone else, it may not be.

I'd try to get a better idea of what else he is looking for in a camera. Then, read the reviews of some of the popular models to get a better idea of the features available. Narrow down your list to a few models, then come back and ask for opinions on which is better (giving a more complete list of requirements at the same time).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 1:39 PM   #3

I have more information about his needs :
-> it may be a size like s602, couse' he don't like "pocket" cameras
-> night shots - on tripod, long exposure time...

He choosed Fuji s602, what do you think about it?!?
t0ur4ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 8:13 PM   #4
Administrator

The Fuji S602 is a very good camera from a General Photography and Macro perspective.

For night photography, it would not be my first choice.

It's EVF (Electronic Viewfinder) is virtually unusable in dark conditions. Also, the autofocus will be unable to function, and the focusing ring will give not indication of distance, making it extremely difficult to use manual focus at night, too.

So, he'll have to experiment quite a bit, in order to get acceptable photos at night, compared to a camera with an optical viewfinder.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 8:22 PM   #5

The Nikon Coolpix 5400 is excellent for macro and night shots. It has a maximum exposure time of 10 minutes! And it's noise reduction is pretty effective. Also, Nikon's have always performed well macro wise, and the 5400 is no exception.
dylan_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2003, 11:00 AM   #6

I would also recommend the Nikon 5400 or even the 5700. The 5700 prices have continue to drop.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote