Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 8, 2002, 6:14 PM   #1

Default Olympus C-4040 Manual

I have another doubt, it may seem stupid but I really have no clue of what this part of the C-4040 manual means :[/font]
Grounding, Polarization : If this product can be used with an optional AC adapter, the adapter may be equipped with a polarized alternating current line plug (a pug with one blade wider than the other). This safety feature allows the plug to fit into the power outlet only one way. If you cannot insert the plug into the wall outlet, pull it out, reverse it, and then reinsert it. If the plug still fails to fit, contact an electrician and have the receptacle replaced.
What the hell does all that mean? It's like chines to me so once more if someone can help I would really appreciate it. Thanx
Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2002, 7:02 PM   #2

Hi Laura

I don't own a C-4040, but I think what all of this technical stuff means, providing you are in North America is: -

There are two types of plugs used, those with three prongs and those with two prongs. The ones with three prongs will only fit in the socket in the wall one way, round pin at the top and two flat pins at the bottom (providing your sockets are installed in the normal way)

The two pronged version have two types, one is where the prongs are usualy the same size and it doesn't matter which way they fit in the wall docket. The other type have one of the flat prongs larger than the other and should only fit in the wall socket one way.

If you have the two progned type you can take a close look at it and should be able to see one of the prongs is larger. If this is the case then don't force it in to the wall socket, if it doesn't fit, turn it clockwise 180 degrees and try agian.

If it is the three pronged version then there is only one way to plug it in to the wall socket.

Hopefully that helps.

Good Luck
Raymond.
Raymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2002, 7:08 PM   #3

A three pronged plug is for a newer grounded receptacle. A two pronged
plug is for an older ungrounded receptacle. The neutral prong on both
plugs should be larger than the "hot"
prong.

[Edited on 8-9-2002 by John Maddox]
John Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2002, 7:12 PM   #4

Default Thank you very much Raymond

Thanks a lot. I come from Spain so plugs are different but right now I live in Mexico City and they have the same plugs here as in US. I didn't realised what the manual was talking about but u explained it in a simpler way, thanks again!!
Old Aug 8, 2002, 7:15 PM   #5

Default Thanks John as well!!

Thanks for the help
Old Aug 8, 2002, 7:19 PM   #6

You are welcome.

I didn't notice that I had made a mistake until I was reading my answer. The three pronged versions in my house are round pin on the bottom! It shows how much notice I take when pluging things in.

John also brings up a valid point, if your home is of an older type it may only have two pronged sockets on the wall.

Raymond.
Raymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2002, 6:34 PM   #7

Laura,
May try reader and rechargeable bateries, you will know real quick if a/c adapter needed or paper wieght. As far as the electical learned back in the 50's if you stick a kniffe with metal handel in toster you will pop up just like the toast. Whens next dive ?? love to see some pics.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2002, 6:43 PM   #8

Default Thanks to all !!

Thanks to all !! I'm going to Galapagos next september so I'll post some pictures if i manage to get some good ones while not losing the camera in the current :-)