Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 29, 2010, 3:35 PM   #1

Default Using Fotodiox lens adapter with my Nikon

Hello!

Here's my dilemma...

I have about 6 lenses (different brands like Minolta and Soligar) for a Minolta X-700 SLR camera. I bought a Fotodiox lens adapter to use the SLR lenses on my Nikon D3000 DSLR. The problem I'm having is even in sunlight, the photos turn out very dark. What gives? I have attached photos to show what lens I am using. It's a Soligar Wide-Auto lens. I also took a picture to show what setting I have to have it on. The disc near where it attaches to the camera has numbers ranging from 2.8 to 22 and I have to have it set on 2.8 to take a picture at all. What is that part for? When I turn it, it changes the picture I see through the viewfinder darker and lighter. The 2.8 is the lightest setting. Will I have to use the flash even outdoors? I have my Nikon set to Manual because it won't read the lens otherwise. I am having this problem with all of my lenses. Help! I am such a newbie and got suckered into doing a photoshoot for a friend this Sunday. I'd like to get the wide angle lens working because it's a family of 6. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Jenn

jmsmith87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:55 PM   #2

The ring with the markings from 2.8 to 22, is the aperture ring. It operates the iris of the lens to allow more or less light through. the widest aperture is 2.8 (f/2.8- with f being the focal length of the lens) At this setting, you should be getting a fairly bright viewfinder image. If the pictures are coming out dark, it is probably because the shutter speed is too high. Since you are in manual, you will have to adjust it yourself.
Since I am not familiar with your camera, I can't give more specific advice, but there should be some indication of the exposure level in the viewfinder- generally a meter type display. Adjust your shutter speed dial to obtain a zero reading on this meter and take a shot.
Does the aperture ring turn, with click stops, when it is mounted on the camera? It should be fairly easy to turn. If not, it may be binding due to the adapter.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 1:44 AM   #3

I did adjust my shutter speed and I think I was trying to take a picture that was too close up for the lens. I thought that was the aperture ring just wasn't used to it yet. The ring does click freely and stop where I need it to on whichever number I want. Thanks for the help brian. I will play around with it today.
jmsmith87 is offline   Reply With Quote