Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 5, 2010, 7:25 PM   #11

I've used a digital point and shoot camera for several years, but now have a digital SLR (a hand-me-down Olympus E500 body). After purchasing a new Zuiko ED 40-150mm lens, I decided to get a UV filter (mostly just to protect the lens). I ended up with a Kenko skylight 1B that the salesperson sold me when I asked for a UV filter and assumed it was the same thing. Now that I've done some research, I've discovered UV, 1A and 1B filters are, indeed, somewhat different.

Questions:
1) Do digital SLR sensors and/or the newer coated lenses make a UV filter unnecessary? If so, a clear filter would be all I need to protect the lens.
2) Are skylight 1A and 1B used only with film cameras or do they have a place in digital photography?

Any help much appreciated.
newtodigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2010, 11:55 PM   #12

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtodigital View Post
Questions:
1) Do digital SLR sensors and/or the newer coated lenses make a UV filter unnecessary? If so, a clear filter would be all I need to protect the lens.
2) Are skylight 1A and 1B used only with film cameras or do they have a place in digital photography?
1) Yes.
2) Film.

Digital sensors don't see UV light; layers atop the sensors block UV. (A built-in 'hot-filter' blocks IR, but that's another story.) With digital, all that a UV filter protects is the paycheck of whomever sold it to you. Skylight filters are slightly pinkish, the 1B more so, to lend a 'warm' cast to an image, ie they muck with the WB. Skylights are for film.

The best protection for your lens is a stiff lens hood. A clear glass filter is good if you're in an environment of airborne sand, dust, spray, of swirling mud and blood and beer. It's good to have a filter on the lens when you sell it, to dupe unsophisticated buyers into thinking the lens is protected. Leaving a filter on a lens for years can breed glass-eating fungi.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

What are good filters to have? First, a CPL reduces glare and unwanted reflections. Two CPL's function as a variable-ND filter. ND filters limit the light reaching the sensor, like if you want a slow-shutter, wide-open shot on a bright day. A graduated-ND filter lets you shoot bright skies with a dark landscape. And a clear glass filter provides physical protection in nasty environments.

Beyond that, we get to spectrum-slicing, which is using IR-pass or colored filters to control the frequency of light reaching the sensor. Those are advanced applications; don't worry about them now. But it is handy to have a Yellow filter. Use it to shoot glaring neon lights at night, for vivid effects. And you generally won't need ANY OTHER FILTERS, since they can be applied digitally in PP.

Last edited by RioRico; Aug 7, 2010 at 11:58 PM.
RioRico is offline   Reply With Quote