Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:44 PM   #1

Default What all do I need for my new dslr?

I've just ordered my first DSLR, the Canon EOS T2i, and a sigma 18-200mm lens. What else do I need? What type of filters do I need, if any? Do I really need a class 10 SD card? I do want to shoot video fo our kids. Any help for this first time dslr user would be greatly appreciated!!
jjcokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:31 PM   #2

It partly depends on what you are planning to use the camera for - for instance, someone shooting landscape will want a circular polarizer, while someone shooting their kids indoors mostly would want a flash before the polarizer.

Some things one should get fairly early -

1. Camera case of some sort - either get a small one with the intention of getting a second, larger one sooner than later or else get one that's bigger than you need. It's amazing how fast you'll fill it up. The reason for getting the small one is that you can continue to use it when you want to "go light" and not take everything with you.
2. Lens cleaning brush
3. Hand air blower, like the rocket air blower (put this high on your list of priorities)
Extra battery
Extra memory cards

There are tons more accessories that fall into the "really should have" or "need if I'm doing ... otherwise forget it" or "make my life easier/pictures better" category. But many of them can wait for a while (even the extra battery isn't a big immediate need, if you pay attention to it).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 4:23 AM   #3

a class 10 would work nicely if you take allot of burst shots.

MTNGAL mention most of what you need. If you are plan of family portrait a good tripod would be a good idea. Don't get a cheapo one, the tend to be unstable. And a wireless remote shutter release would be good too.

If you are planning to take allot of indoor photos a good external flash or a fast prime lens would be a good option if you do not like flash photography. The canon ef 50mm 1.8 is a decent low price prime lens About 95 dollars.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 4:26 AM   #4

PS

if you do not have a decent photo editing program, it may be a good idea to download one of the free ones from gimp or picasa to start with. DSLR do not process the jpeg files to the extent a point and shoot does. There is alway a need to do a little editing.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 6:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcokc View Post
I've just ordered my first DSLR, the Canon EOS T2i, and a sigma 18-200mm lens.
Welcome to the forum and Good Luck with your new camera.

Quote:
What else do I need? What type of filters do I need, if any?
You don't really need any filters. A CPL circular polariser
can be good for landscape shots.

Quote:
Do I really need a class 10 SD card? I do want to shoot video fo our kids. Any help for this first time dslr user would be greatly appreciated!!
A Class 6 card will be adequate, but since there is little or no
price difference, you may as well get a Class 10.

I would recommend a good camera bag. "good" doesn't
necessarily mean expensive. The other must-have item
is a tripod.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:21 AM   #6

I think you should have 2 lists here one for keeping it clean and the other for camera kit.
Bags I got good deal on lowepro fastpack 250, plus a quick trawel of the net got me a nissin di622 flash. I am now saving for a f1.8 50mm and then I will look for a longer reach zoom.
enjoy your camera
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 6:26 PM   #7

Class 10 card is a plus but class 6 will work well. For video class 6 is minimum I would use myself
Extra memory card(s)
Memory card reader if you don't own one
Extra Battery
UV filter (high quality)
Rocket air blower (A MUST)
Camera case that is well padded and will hold everything plus a little room to grow

Also a place to store all those images and for me that would be external hard drive(s) and DVDs.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 2:26 PM   #8

A good EXIF data reader is a must for figuring out a camera. Likely one came with the camera, and a scan of questions in the forum for your specific unit might suggest a better one.

That will let you see what camera settings were used for the shot - much easier than making notes to go with chemical photos.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 1:52 PM   #9

If photographing buildings, landscapes what filters would you recommend to go with a CP?
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 7:00 PM   #10

CP are used to reduce or increase reflection or shooting the sky and to get them more blue. You can also use it as a ND to slow down your shutter speed. For really dramatic landscapes grad. ND would be the way to go, but they are very expensive set up.