Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 1, 2010, 7:27 PM   #1
LEK

Default class for point and shoot

I think I need to learn more about the EV settings, ISO, and take a class like I've been talking about. I found one through an adult ed program called Learning Exchange, class is called "Learn to use your point and shoot". Thought it might give me the basics but don't want to to be too basic even for me(like this is how you turn it on and this is what a memory card is). Want something that teaches me about ISO and exposure values and gives me confidence. All the other classes I see are for DSLR. I have the ZS3 and will be getting the FZ35. Any thoughts?
LEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2010, 11:13 PM   #2

You should be able to contact them for a syllabus. If it isn't what you are looking for, ask if there is another available. Community colleges usually have classes for both beginners and intermediate users.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 12:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEK View Post
I think I need to learn more about the EV settings, ISO, and take a class like I've been talking about. I found one through an adult ed program called Learning Exchange, class is called "Learn to use your point and shoot". Thought it might give me the basics but don't want to to be too basic even for me(like this is how you turn it on and this is what a memory card is). Want something that teaches me about ISO and exposure values and gives me confidence. All the other classes I see are for DSLR. I have the ZS3 and will be getting the FZ35. Any thoughts?
(I see that VTphotog responded and covered getting a syllabus while I was typing the following: )

No one responded in a day so here’s my thoughts for now. Get the course overview and see if it covers the areas you want help on. If it looks good but does not indicate the hours per subject, on registration day ask the instructor to clarify it. That should allow you to decide whether to take the course.

As far as setting exposure compensation (EV), the ZS3 and FZ35 can make it very easy since both cameras have live histogram capability. To tide you over for now, post #14 in this thread which covers using the histogram may help.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...eginner-2.html

Regarding ISO, here’s a link to an easy to understand discussion on ISO:
http://www.all-things-photography.com/iso-settings.html

But that link discusses using high ISO values for SLRs which you said you are not interested in at the moment. For P&S cameras, auto or intelligent ISO usually does a pretty good job. For most small sensor cameras, ISO 400 is usually the maximum to use with acceptable noise in the image. I’m pretty sure that both the ZS3 and FZ35 have settings which allow you to set the maximum ISO to use. You can set the max to ISO 400 and limit the noise. Use ISO values over ISO 400 for “I want the picture regardless of noise” situations.

EDIT: I meant to but forgot to post this youtube link to none other than Brian Peterson who wrote the classic book "Understanding Exposure". If you haven't read it, it is a must read. Check your state library. In this youtube clip, Brian explains by example how changing the aperature and shutter speed together results in 7 correct exposures but 7 different results. A very good clip. Check out his other youtube clips also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8NEa-ghHbo

Best regards,
Sky

Last edited by skylark; Aug 2, 2010 at 5:12 AM. Reason: Added link to Brian Peterson youtube clip.
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 7:52 AM   #4

You might want to check for online classes. There are a TON of them and some of them are free.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 9:20 AM   #5
LEK

Thanks SO much. Those links to the other posts are terrific, a mini course in themselves. That is really what I needed. I already understand more than I did. The idea of on-line and you-tube is great too, I'll look at those. The class I was considering is just a 3 hour workshop, not a real class. I found the instructors e-mail and e-mailed him with my questions but the information you all provided will help me get started.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:49 AM   #6

Loren-

As you know I teach courses just like your post discusses. In fact, I will begin another in September. As much as I would prefer it, you never seem to get 30 persons all at the same learning level. Therefore, you have to begin at a very basic level, in the first session. That quickly allow the instructor, to determine at what level of knowledge most folks are at in the class. That step sorts out the class.

Then you can advance or retard the syllabus as required for the average student in the class. If, I have fairly knowledgeable students, I can move much more quickly.
Ours is a 10 hour course and we begin with batteries and memory cards, and end with an introduction to post processing, shooting without flash, and advanced flash techniques.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 2:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEK View Post
Thanks SO much. Those links to the other posts are terrific, a mini course in themselves. That is really what I needed. I already understand more than I did. The idea of on-line and you-tube is great too, I'll look at those. The class I was considering is just a 3 hour workshop, not a real class. I found the instructors e-mail and e-mailed him with my questions but the information you all provided will help me get started.
If it's just a single 3 hour workshop, I would forget it (unless it's free). It probably won't cover the areas you want in the depth you need. You can learn much more online as gjtoth suggested. If you can find a 10 hour class like Sarah's, then that would be worthwhile.

Sky
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 4:05 PM   #8
LEK

Yes, I'm thinking a 3 hour class could be too basic. Something like Sarah's would be perfect. I'll keep looking and already the suggested links and youtube will give me alot. Thanks.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 11:48 PM   #9
LEK

I posted this in my other post in the Newbie section, just re-posting it here for continuity.
"I heard back from the instructor at the Learning Exchange. he said the beginning point and shoot class is pretty basic so some of it will be repeat for me but some new stuff on exposure and ISO, it's only a three hour workshop so I'll think I'll take it, what do I have to lose, whatever I learn will be helpful. He said if I have a point and shoot with lots of manual controls that I should take the 4 hour beginning DSLR workshop, that alot of it would apply to my camera. After I get the new superzoom, I'll take that. They also have a one day 6 hour nature photography workshop that I'll take after I take the first two workshops that I hope will give me tips on composition, lighting and exposure with sun and clouds and snow. So that's 13 hours of workshops combined plus what I find on youtube. I'm hoping with that and practice it will make a big difference.