Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 15, 2003, 1:32 PM   #1

Default New camera with zoom for sport shots??

I am looking for a digital camera preferably pocket size with a powerful zoom. Used for long shots over the water. The zooms do not make much sence to me as they are not measured in mm as I am used to. My slr has a 300mm zoom. What are some good choices that would get me at least close to that zoom and I figure a 4mp resolution.

Is there a possibility in the 400 - 500 range?
Thank you for your help
bluefish1354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2003, 1:47 PM   #2

Steve's review of camera provides the 35mm equivalent in mm. Look at the reveiws again. One of the smallest ultra zoom cameras would be the 740Z or 750Z with a zoom of 380mm. Wide angle is 38mm. Both cameras can be fitted with polarizer lens with an adapter tube.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2003, 2:05 PM   #3

Default new camera with zoom for sport shots?

Thank you for the insights I assume those are Epson cameras. 1.2 megapixels seems small I have been told by others that bigger is better in the mp world.

Blue
Old Dec 15, 2003, 2:18 PM   #4
kex

Default Re: new camera with zoom for sport shots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefish1354
Thank you for the insights I assume those are Epson cameras. 1.2 megapixels seems small I have been told by others that bigger is better in the mp world.

Blue
I think gibson meant the Olympus 750Z.
They're not that small at all and concerning the MP: the 740 has 3 MP, the 750 4 MP.
Good cams as far as I saw. Already thought about upgrading to an olympus 750 Ultra Zoom, but I don't like it using the xD cards, cause they're very expensive. :-S
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2003, 2:35 PM   #5

kex.. thank you. Yes the olympus 750z looks better than the epsons. That looks about what I'm looking for. The memory options are all a mystery to me as well. xd you say are expencive other than that are there any downfalls?

How many photos are held on an xd memory card?

Are those one of the types you can take into the machines at CVS and print out photos?

I'm learning a lot

Blue
Old Dec 15, 2003, 4:11 PM   #6
kex

Quote:
xd you say are expencive other than that are there any downfalls?
I don't think so.
Compared to CF (CompactFlash) cards, xD Picture Cards are really really too expensive I think.

Quote:
How many photos are held on an xd memory card?
Depends on the size, not of the card type.
A 128 MB xD card can take as many pictures as a 128 MB CF Card.
I'm using one 64 MB xD Card for the fuji a204 and it takes 101 pictures in highest quality (2MP).

I'm also using 2 x 128 MB CF cards for my Canon A60 and each of them take about 100 pic, too.

You see, that depends on the compression the cam does.

Steves review on the Olympus 750 Z says, a 256 MB xD card takes 45 shots in SHQ and 136 shots for HQ.

But check it out yourself, it will probably answer some of your questions.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/c750uz.html
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2003, 5:31 PM   #7

Blue

I am sorry and I should have provided the brand name of the cameras. You can purchase an Xd card for under $55 for 256mb at www.newegg.com
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2003, 5:47 PM   #8

Quote:
... The memory options are all a mystery to me as well. xd you say are expencive other than that are there any downfalls?...
All of the different kinds of memory will work well. IMHO, the major issue between them is price. Deal with that by figuring in at least 256M (better - figure a Gig, you will want that amount someday) of memory into the price of the camera.

Same issue with batteries: you will want at least one (two is better) set of spares. Figure that into the purchase price as well - sometimes proprietory batteries are very expensive. You might not get the spare batteries at the time you get the camera, but you will want them some day.

You will want a good chunk of memory within 20 minutes of getting the camera.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2003, 11:10 AM   #9

Thank you! You guys have been of huge help. I am looking at the differenc b/w the olympus 750z and the pentax 555. Clearly there is a zoom difference. Exactly how much I'm not to sure. Pentax claims 5x total?

Different format for memory.
Higher resolution.
Cheeper
I can buy it locally.

What is the major difference between 4mb and 3.2 mb (750 and 740). Is that enought ot worry about. At what enlargement will you see the difference.

Thank you again
Blue
Old Dec 16, 2003, 11:25 AM   #10

Quote:
... What is the major difference between 4mb and 3.2 mb (750 and 740). Is that enought ot worry about. At what enlargement will you see the difference. ...
If all else is equal (it never is), you can make a print with the linear dimension larger by the square root of the ratio of pixels. Comparing 3.2 to 4.0 Mp will mean you can print 1.118033 times (11.8033%) larger. Nice to have, but other differences between cameras can easily be much more important.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote