Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:53 PM   #1

Default Need help . . .

Ok, i'm a newbie here,, i apologize if i posted this in the wrong thread . . .

i just bought a new camera recently, Casio Exilim EX-Z35. But then, i found some problems... for example if i copy some pictures inside the memory card into my computer, later on, some images that i copied earlier can't be displayed in my digicam. Luckily, if i try to open the images in the computer, the images still can be seen.

I tried to format the memory card. But still no luck. Even more photos can't be displayed in my digicam.

Is there anyone who has ever encountered the same problem with me?

Btw, my memory card is Kingston 8GB. I'm sure it isn't because the memory card is full since i just took few photos.

i wonder if the problem is caused by my camera or the memory card.

Thx in advance,,
mi3_r4gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2010, 10:25 PM   #2

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

I'm not familiar with your camera, but tell me, just how are images copied to your computer? Some software doesn't COPY the images, but MOVES them, so that they no longer exist on the memory card. Some cameras have a block of internal memory where pictures can be stored as permanently as you want; these would not be affected by a move.

Here's a scenario: You pull the card from the camera and insert it into a card-reader that is in or attached to your computer. Or, you plug a USB cable into the camera and computer. A program starts that transfers image files onto your hard disk. When the program finishes, it disappears. Is this what happens with you?

Ah, but before pulling the card or cable, bring up a file browser -- if you have a WinTel machine, that will be Windows Explorer; I dunno about Mac stuff. In the DeskTop or WinEx, click on My Computer and see what drives are attached; that camera or memory card should be one of them. Look at all the folders on that attached drive. If no folders contain an image file, then all the images have been MOVED from the memory card, bye-bye. At least you know where they've gone, right?
Old Aug 7, 2010, 10:32 PM   #3

Are you sure the card isn't locked? If it is, that would prevent formatting, and could possibly cause some of your other problems as well. SD cards have what is basically a write protect switch, but that may not prevent the camera from writing pictures to it.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2010, 1:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
I'm not familiar with your camera, but tell me, just how are images copied to your computer? Some software doesn't COPY the images, but MOVES them, so that they no longer exist on the memory card. Some cameras have a block of internal memory where pictures can be stored as permanently as you want; these would not be affected by a move.

Here's a scenario: You pull the card from the camera and insert it into a card-reader that is in or attached to your computer. Or, you plug a USB cable into the camera and computer. A program starts that transfers image files onto your hard disk. When the program finishes, it disappears. Is this what happens with you?

Ah, but before pulling the card or cable, bring up a file browser -- if you have a WinTel machine, that will be Windows Explorer; I dunno about Mac stuff. In the DeskTop or WinEx, click on My Computer and see what drives are attached; that camera or memory card should be one of them. Look at all the folders on that attached drive. If no folders contain an image file, then all the images have been MOVED from the memory card, bye-bye. At least you know where they've gone, right?
My camera doesn't come with USB cable,, it doesn't come with any CD as well,, so i don't use any specific programs or software to copy the images to my computer,, after i plug in the MMC inside memory card slot, then a folder will appear in my computer,, i just click it,, then inside, all the images that i've been taken will appear there,, i just simply copy the images,, after finish, i just remove it,, that's all,, obviously, the images ARE still inside the memory card,, some of them just can't be displayed in my digicam,, thats all,, i just wonder why,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
Are you sure the card isn't locked? If it is, that would prevent formatting, and could possibly cause some of your other problems as well. SD cards have what is basically a write protect switch, but that may not prevent the camera from writing pictures to it.

brian
no,, i'm pretty sure,, if my memory card was locked,, maybe i won't be able to move any files to my computer,,

anyway,, thank you for all the reply,, i really appreciate it,,
mi3_r4gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2010, 4:39 PM   #5
Administrator

Actually, the lock switch on a card only prevents writing to the card, not reading from it. So, I'd check the switch position.

As for copying the files from your card to your PC then removing the card, did you "Safely Remove" it (using a Safely remove icon in your system tray, or by "right clicking" on the card under "My Computer" and using the Eject menu choice?

If not, and you wrote to the card in some manner from your PC (deleting files, etc.), you may have corrupted the file system.

Depending on the OS version, drivers, etc, sometimes writes to media will be in the operating system's cache. So, if you remove a card before any writes have completed, you can end up corrupting one. I'd recommend always right clicking on the icon you should see for a card under "My Computer" and using the "Eject" menu choice you'll see before removing a memory card. That flushes any pending writes to the card and unmounts the file system so that the card can be safely removed.

As for formatting it, try this utility. It works on non Panasonic cards. You'll see a download link at the bottom of the page.

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...rmatter20.html

Make sure to safely remove the card after the format is completed (right click on the icon for it under My Computer and use the Eject menu choice you'll see). I'm assuming you're using Windows. If not, and you're using a Mac, try formatting it as FAT32, then see here for how to safely remove it:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6180645_safe...drive-mac.html

If you're using Linux, most File Managers (Konqueror, Dolphin, etc.) will have an Eject option similar to Windows if you right click on the choice for the card so that it unmounts the file system to allow safe removal.

If you can format it OK using that Panasonic utility (or using FAT32 as the file system type from your operating system), I'd format it again using your camera's menu choice for format before using it (and you may even want to try the camera's menu choice for format first and see if it can format it for you).

Personally, I always reformat a card using the camera's menu choice for format prior to every reuse, no exceptions. That way, I always start out with a fresh FAT (File Allocation Table), just the way the camera expects it (since it's performing the format).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2010, 6:54 PM   #6

I agree with Jim: unless you have a *VERY* good reason to do otherwise, format the card in the camera to clear it after you have transfered the photos. Do you really want to try to figure out if your camera uses an eight bit or 16 bit or 32 bit or 12 bit or something even stranger?
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote