Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:16 AM   #1

Default viewing pics

dont know if this is the right place to ask this...but why is it when i look at my pics threw dpp or any program they look great and when i look at them threw windows explorer they look like crap....i know its not my video card i got 285 gtx is there a setting im missing some where's ..i tried setting the card for windows explorer ...doesnt seem to help.....or is it a windows XP thing ???
kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:27 AM   #2
Administrator

Are you using sRGB Color space for them (setting sRGB in camera, or when you're using an editor to convert them to another format)?

If you're using a different color space (Adobe RGB, etc.), expect more problems with applications that are not color managed (and Windows Explorer is not a color managed application).

What monitor do you have. If it's wide gamut, the problems with non color managed applications will be even more pronounced, even if you're using sRGB as the color space for your images.

The key is to make sure you're using a calibrated monitor and a color managed application to view images. For less difference between applications that are not color managed, make sure to stick with sRGB when shooting or saving images (versus Adobe RBG or other available choices).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:54 AM   #3

thanks jim i do have it on sRBG...my color seems fine its my sharness.say when i sharpen a pic it doesnt seem to sharpen it then when i zoom in on the pic it is way to sharp then go back to fit window size it looks like crap i click back to another pic then go back to the same pics and its not sharp again....wierd dont know what it is....oh well...mmmmm
Old Aug 9, 2010, 12:09 PM   #4

BTW, each time you open an resave a JPEG image, you lose a little more detail. That's because JPEG files are compressed with a form of compression that is not loseless. Each time you save a file, a little more of the detail in the iage is lost forever.

The reason I bring this up is that I hope you're not constantly opening and saving the only copy of the photo you have. If you do somethign to an image, you should do a Save As... so that the original is preserved. And if what you did din't work, delete the copy you made, and try again with the original, doing a Save As... again.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 12:44 PM   #5

no tcav i have all originals also i dont resave them if i dont like it i delete and start over ..and i shoot in raw and jpeg...and never change the originals...i put all originals on cd right of the bat just incase i really screw up ....lol
Old Aug 9, 2010, 6:05 PM   #6

Quote:
dont know if this is the right place to ask this...but why is it when i look at my pics threw dpp or any program they look great and when i look at them threw windows explorer they look like crap
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby View Post
thanks jim i do have it on sRBG...my color seems fine its my sharness.say when i sharpen a pic it doesnt seem to sharpen it then when i zoom in on the pic it is way to sharp then go back to fit window size it looks like crap i click back to another pic then go back to the same pics and its not sharp again....wierd dont know what it is....oh well...mmmmm
Hi Kirby,

What software are you using to sharpen your images? How does windows explorer's viewing fit into what you described above in your sharpening procedure?

Sky
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 9:44 PM   #7

ok see if i can explain this...i have dpp zoombrowser photoscape Irfanveiw and photomatix.every one will sharpin my pics and when o look at them with any one of these programs they are sharp at the settings i gave them ...but when i look at them with windows explorer the sharpness settings are not there until i zoom in to actual size and back to best fit then the settings take affect...doesnt matter what pic i look at it wont sharpin up till i do that to them ....it like windows is not seeing the settings im giving them or somthin ...i have no idea....lol
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:19 PM   #8
Administrator

Each image viewer is likely using different resizing algorithms to give you a downsized view of your image. It sounds like Windows Explorer's algorithms (or Windows Picture viewer if that's what it's using) are just not as good as some of the other applications you use. I don't normally use Windows Explorer for viewing images, even when I use Windows. So, I can't comment on how it's algorithms compare to other programs.

But anytime you are viewing a reduced image size, the algorithms being used by the program to downsize your image can impact perceived quality. So, if you don't see the results you want, use a different image viewer. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby View Post
ok see if i can explain this...i have dpp zoombrowser photoscape Irfanveiw and photomatix.every one will sharpin my pics and when o look at them with any one of these programs they are sharp at the settings i gave them ...but when i look at them with windows explorer the sharpness settings are not there until i zoom in to actual size and back to best fit then the settings take affect...doesnt matter what pic i look at it wont sharpin up till i do that to them ....it like windows is not seeing the settings im giving them or somthin ...i have no idea....lol
Select a different image viewing program as the default for Explorer. To do this, when viewing a folder with graphics files in Explorer:

Right click on a file name (usually .jpg) >
hover over "Open With" >
Click "Choose Default Program >
Check "Always use the selected program to open this kind of program" >
Highlight the program you want to use to view your images >
Click OK.

Sky
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote