Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 16, 2003, 2:40 PM   #1

Default Fuji A310 vs. Canon PowerShotA70

Hi.

I'm new to the world of digital cameras, and have been reading a lot of reviews from here and other sites. I was pretty much sold on the Canon PowerShot A70, but had also been considering the Fuji A310.

When I went to purchase my camera today, the salesman told me hands down, go with the A310. He seemed quite impressed by Fuji's Super CCD and the claim that you get 6.0 million pixels out of the 3.2mp camera. As I had been considering this camera, I decided to go with his advice and purchase the Fuji.

Just wondering if anyone had any opinions on these two cameras, and if anyone agrees with the salesman that the Fuji is the better of the two. I'm just a little worried that he had some sort of incentive to push Fuji over Canon. I have 30 days to return the camera if I'm not happy, so I'm just trying to get some feedback from some experienced users.

I all ready have a fairly nice 35mm that I still plan on using when I'm doing any serious photography. This digital camera will be more for fun events parties/vacations/etc...

Thanks in advance for any comments or feedback.
marcR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2003, 8:36 PM   #2

i also considered the fugi but i ended up with a nikon coopix 3100 and for my first day of shooting its quite cool. with the reviews i have read i would say the Canon A70 is a better camera in terms of picture quality and features. I just got a good price on the Nikon so i got it instead of the Canon.
peter-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2003, 11:41 AM   #3

Default Re: Fuji A310 vs. Canon PowerShotA70

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcR
He seemed quite impressed by Fuji's Super CCD and the claim that you get 6.0 million pixels out of the 3.2mp camera.
OK, I'll bite, how do you get an extra 3MP out of a 3mp camera? I'm assuming there is some type if interpolation going on and, if that's the case, picture quality could suffer. One thing I don't particuarly like about the Fuji is that the lowest ISO setting is 200. This could add noise to the photo's but, you'll have to see that for yourself. Aside from that it seems like a decent camera although, I'm just going by what I've read. Let us know how you like it, OK?

Mark
mkoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2003, 6:45 AM   #4

Default Re: Fuji A310 vs. Canon PowerShotA70

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoso
Let us know how you like it, OK?
Well I had the Fuji A310 for about a week and took it on my trip last week. It took very nice pictures, but really lacked in the manual controls department (the salesman told me it had them, I should have been checked for myself I guess). So I was happy with the picture quality, but not the features. So I decided to return this camera.

Now this kind of bugged me about the store I bought it at. Took the camera back, no problem to return. BUT....they were like a bunch of drones, all telling me the Fuji A310 was the better camera, and going on about better picture quality. Turns out, there are no Canon's in stock, and there wasn't when I was in last week, they just didn't tell me that! The fuji is a nice camera, I just feel like they were STRONGLY pushing it, due to the lack of Canon cameras on hand. Anyways, I will not shop there anymore.

At this point, I had talked to a few friends....and decided to go with a 4mp camera (to allow for some cropping on 8 X 10 pictures). I had narrowed it down to the canon A80, Nikon 4300 and Minolta S414. In the end, I chose the Minolta. It was a lot less, and has a 4X optical zoom. It's a bit bulkier, and doesn't have all of the manual controls that the A80 has, but it saved me a few dollars and gives me a better zoom.

I am all ready having some troubles with the auto focus, and flash photos....but these were indoors and were in lower light conditions, I'll give it a better test today when everyone is opening their christmas presents

Marc
marcR is offline   Reply With Quote