Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 17, 2003, 12:47 AM   #1

Default I have no clue...please help

I am thinking of buying my mom a digital camera but she doesn't have a computer, only web tv. She is not good with electronics and I know nothing about cameras. So, here's my question...Can you take the memory card and bring it to a store to develop like you would for a roll of film or do you have to have a computer?
wallywoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2003, 1:53 AM   #2

I believe you can....it would be handy but is it really worth it...in this case i would think film would be cheaper and easer.
peter-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2003, 7:00 AM   #3

You can take memory card to some store and have printed. Most photo printers now have card reader built in and then print at home. My parents dont' have a computer and do this. It took awhile for them to catch on, but do well now.
pbnoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2003, 7:47 AM   #4

Just make sure you buy your mom plenty of batts and a charger. Also this is one of those rare cases when I'd say a power supply to power the camera is a good idea. She'll be able to spend more time previewing the pics she took and deleting those she doesn't want printed (her first intro to the advantages of a digicam!). If she hasn't got a pc, she might also ask them to put her pics on a CD if she thinks she might need to get more prints or just keep as memories.

However, you should give here some guidance about keeping the subject interest well into the centre of the frame. Because when the images are printed, some stores do automated cropping to suit the paper size and you're never always sure if it's a top crop (heads chopped), bottom crop (feet chopped) or centre crop (bit off top and bottom). VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2003, 1:02 PM   #5

Thanks to all who replied. I'll see if she can handle printing her own pictures at home. Seasons greetings to all.
wallywoo is offline   Reply With Quote