Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:14 AM   #1

Default PP help exposure/and through glass zoo pics

First of all, I hope I'm in the right section.

I'm trying to improve my skills with the camera and also with pp. I went to the zoo yesterday and it was very sunny. I had exposure issues all day. Some animals were in bright light some were in shadows.

I've only recently tried adjusting exposure on my camera (a sony h-5) and I think my problem is knowing when something has the right exposure. So this first photo (meercats) is -0.7, the second was at 0. The first one looks underexposed and the second looks overexposed to me, but maybe I'm wrong?

Then for the last 3 photos (polar bear and monkeys), they were all shot through glass. Any tips on how to make these look less like they were shot were glass?

thanks in advance!
Attached Images

purpleehobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2010, 9:57 PM   #2

purplee-

The first photo would be perfect for post processing. It is much easier to come from slightly under exposed to normal. When something is over exposed, you can never recover lost fine detail.

In the shot through glasslease remember the glass acts just like a filter, so if the glass is dirty as these shots seem to show, recovery at all is questionable.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2010, 10:31 AM   #3

Thanks for the comment!

Yeah, the glass was really dirty, especially the polar bear. I tried wiping it down a bit for the monkeys but it was on the other side too. Oh well. I put a soft focus on it and it helped a little.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 8:10 PM   #4

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

Shooting through glass, you must choose your glass carefully. If the side you are on is NOT much darker than the other (subject) side, you will lose contrast, no matter how clean the glass. I was in the aquarium in Golden Gate Park / San Francisco a few months ago and got fine shots from the darkened corridors into the brightly-lit tanks. A times I put the lens right against the glass to shoot through it, with no reflections behind me to infect the pictures. Keep your lens against and perpendicular to the glass, to cut down on optical interference. A rubber lens hood helps provide a light seal also.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 8:52 PM   #5

I you have a lens hood, like riorico said put it right against the glass. Another thing you can try when shooting true glass is use a circular polarizer filter. It can help reduce reflections.

I personally like to shoot at least -1/3 to -2/3 EV when shooting outdoors. It allows me to correct in PP vs blowing out the details
Old Aug 27, 2010, 8:59 PM   #6

Here is one shot I took with the canon at -1/3 EV with my canon and then did a one click enhancement in apple aperture
Attached Images

Old Aug 27, 2010, 9:01 PM   #7

I will try the lens hood and keep the filter in mind too.

I did shoot in -1/3 EV most of the day. These guys were tricky. They were running from shade to full sun, so it was a little bit of a battle.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 9:14 PM   #8

yeah they are quite the character when they want to. At times willing to pose for you.

PS

Hood do help improve color.
Attached Images

Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:08 PM   #9

Yeah, they were posing up a storm. My friend and I even made that "here, kitty, kitty, noise" and they ran over as close to us as the exhibit would allow and laid out in the sun for us. It was very cool.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:11 PM   #10

What software do you use to edit with?