Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 13, 2010, 5:41 PM   #1

Default Got the Kx... Now what? UV? Hood?

Bought my first DSLR, the Pentax Kx with 18-55 and 50-300 lenses. Woohoo!

Now what do I need? I have my low-discharge NiMHs... and Class 6 SDHC cards... Will get a flash later... Will try to find as small a case as possible... Already have a tripod.
SO
Should I be attaching some kind of filter on the lenses just for protection? From what I gather, many people attach a UV filter. (They seem to be basically the same as a "clear" filter.) Does any such filter work including the ones you can get for a buck or so on ebay? Or is it worth paying more for a name brand? Such as...?

Finally how important is a hood? Is it just necessary for pictures heading toward light sources?
I've seen both tulip ones and rubber, expandable ones. Do they work equally well for the 18-55 and the 50-300?

Thanks for the advice.
mgvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2010, 5:45 PM   #2

Hoods is a good option. Ebay is a good place to get them at 1/4 the price of the oem price. Do a search for pentax ph-rba and ph-rbg and the 2 knock off pentax hoods will turn up.

NIMH are okay, but sanyo eneloop low discharge are way better.

Flash metz or pentax models with p-ttl.

Skip the UV filter it really do not do much. All it does is degrade iq. Use a hood to protect the lens instead.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 5:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Bought my first DSLR, the Pentax Kx with 18-55 and 50-300 lenses. Woohoo!
Congraculations, have nice pictures and of course share them with us .
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2010, 8:30 PM   #4

Thanks for the guidance!

I found the one for the PH-RBA 52mm.

I found two options for the PH-RBG 58mm. Any reason to choose one over the other? The first appears to be a clone of the Pentax. The second looks more convenient though...

OR THIS

mgvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2010, 8:35 PM   #5

the rubber ones fall apart over time, and the pentax tab that opens lets you adjust a cpl easily while you can not do the same with the rubber one. Also since the rubber screw on to the lens, if you add a cpl. There is a strong possibility of vig issues

Yes both model numbers I gave you are pretty much clones of the original pentax model
Old Sep 14, 2010, 6:22 AM   #6

The rubber lens hoods also don't provide much protection. I'd go with the hard plastic one.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 9:51 AM   #7

Other accessories will depend on what you want to use the camera for. I do a lot of landscape photography so a circular polarizer is something I use often. A flash is always a great idea. Another thing I use sometimes is a wireless remote, very handy for low light photography when the camera is mounted on a tripod. There are a million other accessories that are must-haves for certain specific types of photography, but never used with others. Before you invest in all of the possibilities, get to know your camera and enjoy it.

Lens hoods are nice to have, especially for helping to protect your lens. I tend not to use them all that often on my big lenses as I find their main function (cut down on flare from bright light sources) can be done in other ways (a well-placed hand, a hat etc.) and I tend to be too lazy to switch the hood around if I'm switching lenses often.

Petal hoods are useful for wide-angle lenses where the front element doesn't rotate, so the petals are always where they should be to not appear in the frame. Lenses like the 55-300 have a rotating front element and are longer so you want the protection all the way around and aren't concerned that the hood could be seen in the frame, something that's possible with a wide angle lens. You might find you get darkening at the edges more if you use a hood like the one you linked to on the kit lens, especially at the wider focal lengths.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:33 AM   #8

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

I got my first dSLR (a Pentax K20D) a couple years ago, after shooting film and P&S's for a long time. Besides the K20D and some lenses (10-17, 18-250, 50/1.4) I bought these:

* UV filters, which I quickly stopped using
* sturdy tripod; wired and wireless remotes
* flash, batteries, charger, and more batteries
* lens pen, and Official Pentax Sensor Cleaning Kit
* 16gb Class 6 SDHC card with USB mini card reader

And then many cheap old lenses on eBay. But I consider the above to be a basic kit. Beyond that: a Raynox DCR-250 closeup adapter, and polarizing and neutral-density filters, and a flash diffuser, and macro tubes, and yet more batteries. All lenses need hoods, always. All images need editing, so get and learn some warez. Transfer image files to a computer with a card-reader, not a USB cable. Throw your kit in a comfortable carrier; I use a teardrop Ameribag. And those are the basics.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 10:38 AM   #9

Greetings everyone. This is my first post.

I am in the same boat. Pentax k-x is on the way, hopefully .

My first DSLR.

Very exciting time.
VelvetFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 12:46 PM   #10

Good luck with it. The K-x is a fine camera.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote