Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 18, 2010, 9:59 AM   #1

Default Question Re:Camera Aspect Ratio

Hi all,
I have a question re:Aspect Ratio. I notice that there are 3 to choose from my camera which are 4:3,3:2 and 16:9. It is currently set at 4:3 but have been reading about 3:2 being a popular configuration. In what way does each setting have on outcome of photos whether it be print or just storage.
I have a Fuji HS-10 so would any of those settings make a difference as compared to a dslr which seems to be 3:2, and why do people shoot 3:2.
The fuji is a nice camera for my needs atm but still a few things still to be learnt.

Any feedback would be apreciated and thankyou for taking time to read.

flasha
flasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2010, 11:28 AM   #2

The aspect ratio of the image doesn't really mean anything all by itself. What matters is what you'll ultimately do with it.

The Fuji HS-10 has three different aspect ratios, each of which creates images with maximum resolutions of 3,648 x 2,736 (4:3), 3,648 x 2,432 (3:2), and 3,648 x 2,056 (16:9). Notice that the horizontal resolution of these images is the same; the only difference is the vertical resolution. All the HS-10 does to create images at other aspect ratios is crop the 4:3 original.

So if all you'll ever be doing is 4x6 prints, then the 3:2 aspect ratio is fine and anyting else is wasted. That is, if you print a 4:3 image at 4x6, then the top and bottom of the image will be cropped off anyway. And if the image is 16:9, then the left and right sides will be cropped off and the resulting image will have a lower resolution.

But if all you'll ever be doing is displaying them on your big screen TV or widescreen monitor, then anything other than 16:9 images will have black bars on each side and the higher resolution will be wasted in downsampling.

Personally, I'd go with the 4:3 aspect ratio. It gives the greatest resolution in either direction, so you can crop wherever you want, for any purpose. Plus, you can create portrait (vertical) images from landscape (horizontal) images and still have a relatively high resolution images.

Last edited by TCav; Sep 18, 2010 at 11:30 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 2:34 PM   #3

Hi TCav, thankyou for clearing that up for me.
Still getting used to all this but I guess when you
read then always questions arise.
The way I understand now is that leaving @ 4:3 makeyou master
of your domain.

Thankyou

John 6:53-55
Old Sep 18, 2010, 2:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by flasha View Post
The way I understand now is that leaving @ 4:3 makeyou master
of your domain.
Well, I don't know about "master of your own domain" , but 4:3 in the HS-10 give you more to play with than any other aspect ratio.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 9:46 AM   #5

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

All aspects ratios have their roots somewhere: traditional Western art (4:3, 4:5), cine and still film (3:2), wide video (16:9), simplicity (1:1). Then there are the 2:1 and 3:1 etc panorama formats. All have their uses. Some MF makers produced 6x7cm cameras because the output fits into standard 8x10" picture frames with least cropping. Some love 1:1 because you never have to rotate the camera. I find 4:3 usually looks best in portrait mode, and 3:2 and 16:9 usually look best in landscape mode, though tall thin pictures have their own drama.

I shoot a Pentax dSLR that's entirely 3:2; and Sony P&S's that let me select 4:3 or 3:2 (which I use when I want a "film look"); and 6x6 and 6x9 film cams. It would be REAL NICE to have a camera that let me slide between any format from 1:1 to 4:1. Of course, any format can be cropped or stitched. I may stitch shots into long thin (wide or tall) panos, or into square-ish matrices. I may shoot fisheye circles or stitched ellipses. Whatever format works...
Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The aspect ratio of the image doesn't really mean anything all by itself. What matters is what you'll ultimately do with it....
For sure. I don't have an HS10 but I do have the Sony a550 which will do 3:2 or 16:9. I use 3:2 when I expect to be editing the pictures. If I'm planning to just upload them to a photo site, I shoot 16:9. There's no way I'm going to go thru hundreds of pictures and crop each one. The one point I'm trying to make is that the Sony adds crop lines to the OVF that are practically invisible when you select 16:9. It displays the cropped view in the LCD properly when you select Live View. So using the OVF, I just hedge a bit and leave some room at the top and bottom. Usually it's ok. Since the HS10 is EVF, I'd expect it to just show you what you selected.

here's an aside: reviews are done by pros or folk with tons of experience. they seldom talk about these smaller issues. But these become big in usage.

and a question: I read this in the HS10 review on dcresource: "When shooting JPEGs, you'll wait for about two seconds before you can take another photo". Is this true?
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 3:12 PM   #7

Thanks Rio and Framk for repying.
I think the 4:3 asprct would be best way to shoot
as you can crop thr photo later, I remember watching an irfan view tutorial about
cropping and dividing pixel density by print size or aspect ratio or something ajong those lines. Will have to find it and rewatch it.
RE: HS-10 2 second delay, in book it says default value is 1.5 seconds the shot picture will display. For me it is no different to any other p+s that I have used, not that I have used that many.

Cheers

John 6:53-55