Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 20, 2010, 6:46 PM   #1

Default How to post best quality photo

I did a search in the Forum but could not come up with a satisfactory answer. I understand that size of an attachment must be 800x600 image size. When I convert my images to this size, I get a file size of approximately 400kb. When post this, it shrinks to about 100kb. What is going on? What size should I make the image so I'm posting a decent quality image? Thanks,
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2010, 9:27 PM   #2

Look in the General Discussion about how to post a photo. It sounds like what is happening is that the forum software is reducing the file size and therefore the quality. There is a file size limit as well as pixel dimensions.
For best quality, use a good photo editor to resize to both dimensions and file size. Some of them allow you to specify the file size to compress to, and others give you a preview with the size included before you do the resizing.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:05 PM   #3

Lemmee summarize for jpg.
1. resize to 1024 on the long side. max
2. check file-size. if more than 253KB, resize original again with greater compression.
3. repeat step 2 until file-size is low enough.
4. done.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:09 PM   #4

Quote:
resize original again with greater compression
OP wants decent quality image, compression decrease IQ obviously.

Quote:
What size should I make the image so I'm posting a decent quality image?
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 12:05 AM   #5

Thank you for your posts. I'm still a bit confused. I use Photoshop to reduce image size. I read in one of the forum posts to reduce it to 800x600, which resulted in a file approximately 450KB. I realize that this is over the limit of 253KB, but I thought I'll take a chance and upload. But when I was done uploading, the dialog box told me that I just uploaded a file that was 95KB. Is there a built-in software which reduced my file to an acceptable size?
Old Sep 21, 2010, 12:18 AM   #6

Yes. If your file size is over the limit, the forum software will reduce it. The way most get around this is to post a link to the photo on a hosting site such as smugmug or photobucket (or whatever). It is only the photos which are hosted here in the forums which get converted.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 12:43 AM   #7

VTphotog - If that is the case, how do some people manage to attach photos that are 300 -500 KB big? When I right click on their photos and get file info, it tells me that many of these attachment are larger than the limit.

Also I posted a file that was below the size limit and it still got reduced to something about 1/8 the original size.

I must be doing something wrong. I guess I will contact the webmaster.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 3:14 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saly View Post
VTphotog - If that is the case, how do some people manage to attach photos that are 300 -500 KB big? When I right click on their photos and get file info, it tells me that many of these attachment are larger than the limit.

Also I posted a file that was below the size limit and it still got reduced to something about 1/8 the original size.

I must be doing something wrong. I guess I will contact the webmaster.
If you are uploading to the site using the paperclip option then it will be resized (assuming it's larger than the specified dimensions), if you have the image hosted at say flickr or similar then there is no restriction, however making it too large will just be a pain. I usually post at about 800 pixels for the longest side. In photoshop setting your jpg compression when saving to 9 or 10 should give a perfect file size to the photo for posting and will have more than enough quality for web use. Generally I aim for about 160kb and find that is not an issue.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 3:22 AM   #9

Mark, most of my raw photos are somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 to 6 MB. When I reduce them to 250KB, they just turn into the size of a postage stamp and totally loose quality. Am I doing this wrong?
Old Sep 21, 2010, 3:45 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saly View Post
Am I doing this wrong?
Probably lol, but we can soon fix that.

When you've edited your photo then got to Image, Image size and set 800 pixels for your longest side and the other will be calculated for you (eg 600 pixels), now do any sharpening you want to (always recommended as the last stage of editing) and then save as a jpg. Set to level 9 or 10, whatever gives about 160-200kb and you are done.