Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 26, 2010, 11:59 PM   #11

actually the dslr shooting for dummies book is quite good. It covers allot of dslr shooting techniques. My wife decided to buy it to get more technique. And after reading a couple of chapters it is actually very good.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 1:54 AM   #12

I have been reading the "Digital Photography" books from Scott Kelby. The boxed set can be found on ebay if you do not have a book store nearby. His writing style can be an acquired taste but there has been some good information.

In some instances the books I have read have raised new questions which forum members have been willing and able to clarify for me. The users manual is always something to be referred to while reading but taken on its own they remind me of the old DOS manuals from the early IBM days. If you understood the book you more than likely did not need it in the first place.

Steve
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2010, 10:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
And don't just pick one book and expect to learn everything from it. People learn (and teach) in different ways, so getting the information from different perspectives is a good idea.
brian

This is an excellent suggestion, imo.

I found reading both Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure and Jeff Wignall's Exposure Photo Workshop to be very helpful.

(Wignall's book is also available on Kindle, if you have it.)
Roooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2010, 10:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Boat Guy View Post
I have been reading the "Digital Photography" books from Scott Kelby. The boxed set can be found on ebay if you do not have a book store nearby. His writing style can be an acquired taste but there has been some good information.

In some instances the books I have read have raised new questions which forum members have been willing and able to clarify for me. The users manual is always something to be referred to while reading but taken on its own they remind me of the old DOS manuals from the early IBM days. If you understood the book you more than likely did not need it in the first place.

Steve
LOL, Steve. I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way about the manual. I'm enjoying my FZ35 but there are times when I feel like the manual was written for NASA engineers, in Klingon.

Second also on the Scott Kelby series. Those are also available for Barnes & Noble Nook, if you have one.
Roooby is offline   Reply With Quote