Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 6, 2010, 5:52 PM   #1

Default Help make my photos better? (photo heavy)

Hi there!

I recently posted a thread in the "what camera should I buy?" section, and had it narrowed down to a Kodak. Well, I was at the store yesterday and decided to take a risk and get a camera I saw there that looked really nice, as I really didn't want to go the online route if I didn't have to. It is the Nikon Coolpix L110. Here is it's page and features: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nikon/13432983

Now, I've been playing around with it taking pics around the house, and went out today to a park and took some pictures as well. I was just wondering if I could get some opinions on my photos, and what maybe, within my camera's capacity, I could do to improve them?

Here are some photos I took of my pets, as this is something I'll be using it A LOT for:

Some from around the house:

A fly that landed on me:

On the road (in motion):

Last edited by E327; Oct 6, 2010 at 6:12 PM.
E327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2010, 6:10 PM   #2

These are from the park. Now, I had issues with the cranes. Since they are white, I'm guessing with the sun reflecting from them my camera couldn't pick them up. Anything I could do for this?

Old Oct 6, 2010, 6:11 PM   #3

A really cool Halloween set up:

Few more of the road and my mom and I stopped at Checkers for a milkshake, lol:

Last edited by E327; Oct 7, 2010 at 8:12 AM.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 6:12 PM   #4

Last edited by E327; Oct 7, 2010 at 8:12 AM.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 6:17 PM   #5

A really cool Halloween set up:

Few more of the road and my mom and I stopped at Checkers for a milkshake, lol:

And finally, testing out my macro mode:
Old Oct 6, 2010, 8:38 PM   #6

You're probably better off to post one photo at a time in the "critiques" section of the forum.

Just let people know you're starting out and they give you gentle guidance.

Generally speaking you seem to do well with birds and animals, so maybe that's your forte.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 9:12 PM   #7

Ok thanks! I looked for a specific section for this, I guess I just missed it.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 7:21 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by E327 View Post
Ugh, bear with me. I'm under moderated status and I have no idea what is posted and what isn't. There are more pictures then this, but I don't know why some are being moderated and some aren't...?
We have an anti-spam filter that looks for patterns in posts from new users. In addition to post content, it's looking at member name, e-mail address, ip addresses, and more.

Since your first posts here contain a lot of links (your images), they were probably flagged for moderation as potential spam. That happens from time to time if a brand new member includes a lot of links in their posts. I've approved the moderated posts so that others can see them now.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 8:13 AM   #9

Thanks! I was wondering what was going on, lol. They're kinda jumbled, but they're all there!
Old Oct 8, 2010, 5:53 PM   #10

(It helps to number the pictures to make it easy for people to comment on specific ones)

I read some good advice somewhere about fixing one thing at a time. When it becomes second-nature you can move on to fixing something else. Don't try and fix everything at once.

I'm still just starting out myself but A few general things from your shots I've noticed which I noticed in my own shots early on are:

1/ Blown highlights in a lot of your clouds. This is the first thing I started watching in my pictures. If the highlights are blown then it's like havig a hole in your photo that you can't fix. Shadows are less of a problem in my opinion.
2/ Frame the shot more carefully. All of your shots are in landscape orientation and a few would have made more sense if you'd turned the camera on it's side and made it a portrait shot. Also either make sure the subject is centred/level/how you want it or zoom out a bit so you've got leeway to crop/rotate it on the computer. Also check that you're not cutting off or including stuff around the edge that might be useful. Try and get in the habit of observing the whole scene, not just the main focus. The background is just as important. I have a friend who has rubbish bins in the back of her wedding shots because the photographer was concentrating on the bride/groom.
3/ Put yourself in the position of someone who only has the picture. When you look at these pictures they mean more to you than anyone else because you associate things with it. They're like a 'hook' to a wider experience you've had but everyone else only has the picture. Unless you're going to add a rich description to each picture you need to find something in the shot that helps it stand on its own.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote