Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 12, 2010, 4:32 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
get a sto fen or gray fong diffuser, shoot at 1600iso and the external flash will not fully discharge after every shot.
Depends on the look you are going for, these still don't look nearly as nice as properly bounced flash, however I agree for the OP this might be the only way to go with the time in hand.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 4:41 PM   #12

That was what I was referring to when I read really high church ceiling. Can not bounce with 30+ foot ceiling.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 4:45 PM   #13
Super Moderator

Quote:
That was what I was referring to when I read really high church ceiling. Can not bounce with 30+ foot ceiling.
Sure can, check out the link I put in an earlier post.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 4:47 PM   #14

church ceiling are normally curved, makes bouncing that high really difficult to do it correctly.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 4:50 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Quote:
church ceiling are normally curved, makes bouncing that high really difficult to do it correctly.

Seriously, check out the link in my earlier post, then look at the technique that is used. Ceiling bouncing is always the least good bounce option for the look, sure better than direct but there is no shape in it. Using walls/people gives a much more natural/professional look.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 4:52 PM   #16

Mark, you are a great flash photographer. And know how to bounce off different angle ceiling. And I do not disagree with you that it is better. But not having the knowledge that you have, it is really difficult to get it right.

I am just looking at the situation that the OP's is in, and the learning curve may not be with him to get to the level that you can shoot a flash in.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 5:07 PM   #17
Super Moderator

I think we got our wires crossed; I wasn't saying that the OP should go this route, and actually agree that the modifier is probably best for someone who has not practised this technique. Just didn't want it said that something can't be done when it can.... yep, it needs some practise and using the right kit but sure can be done.

Last edited by Mark1616; Oct 12, 2010 at 5:16 PM.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 5:12 PM   #18

No problem mark, I do think we got cross up.