Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 16, 2010, 5:16 PM   #1

Default What does LCD monitor dots mean?

The question is, I bought the camera says 12.1MP pixels, I understand this is the the number of pixel of my image can have and this depends on the resolution that I use. Hope I understand this right, if not please correct me.

And on the manual says, my LCD monitor has 230,400 dots. Why there is only 230, 400 dots? Does that mean my picture only have 230, 400 dots? I'm confused here.

I's really confused about these 2 kinds of pixels. Could anyone please explain this to me? What are their differences? Does this LCD monitor dots affect my pictures?

Thank you.
shonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2010, 6:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonick View Post
The question is, I bought the camera says 12.1MP pixels, I understand this is the the number of pixel of my image can have and this depends on the resolution that I use. Hope I understand this right, if not please correct me.
You are correct.

Quote:
And on the manual says, my LCD monitor has 230,400 dots. Why there is only 230, 400 dots? Does that mean my picture only have 230, 400 dots? I'm confused here.
The resolution on the LCD display has nothing to do with the resolution of your images. It's jsut the resolution that the display has for you to see the menus, etc., as well as your photos when you display (and zoom) them, and before you take them using 'Live View'.

Quote:
I's really confused about these 2 kinds of pixels. Could anyone please explain this to me? What are their differences? Does this LCD monitor dots affect my pictures?
The image sensor is the camera's input device; the LCD display is its output device. The image that you capture with the camera is not limited to the resolution that the camera uses to display them on its little screen.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 9:43 PM   #3

thank you very much
shonick is offline   Reply With Quote