Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 17, 2010, 3:37 AM   #1

Default Coolpix 990 Noise

Thanks for letting me join you on this interesting forum. I have bought a second hand Coolpix 990 which seems in great condition for it's age (2002). I have tried it out and it is taking great photo's. The thing that troubles me (maybe it shouldn't) is that when I switch it on there is the sound of grating gears (maybe thats not the right word for it) for a few seconds. It stops and then begins again for a while. After this it seems quiet enough. It doesn't seem to hinder the 990 from working, so what I am asking is, has any other 990 owner/user experienced this noise. If anyone can help or advise me, then I could get down to using it and enjoying it, which is what I most want to do. Many thanks. Cypher.
cypher000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2010, 7:47 AM   #2
Administrator

That's normal for your camera model. It's got a relatively noisy focus system.

One thing you can do to help is change it from Continuous to Single Shot (so that it only focuses with a half press of the shutter button when in non Auto modes).

M-REC, press the MENU button, and select FOCUS (FOCUS OPTIONS) > Auto Focus Mode > Single AF
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 10:19 AM   #3

Default Coolpix 990 noise

Many thanks JimC for the very useful info. I am quite happy now, the noise is at a minimum, so much so that I hardly know it is there any more. It just goes to show what knowledgeable folks you all are on this forum. So helpful too. Thank you again and again for all your help, Now I can set off and enjoy this beautiful camera. Cypher
cypher000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:10 AM   #4
Administrator

No problem. I hope you enjoy using the Coolpix 990. I still have the older Coolpix 950. But, I liked the Coolpix 990 more (and I sold mine some years back). Even though some of the newer models may be faster with more features, the Coolpix 990 is a real classic, and it takes nice photos (which is the part that counts). ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote