Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 22, 2003, 10:56 AM   #1

Default Canon Powershot A70 vs Nikon Coolpix 3100

After looking around the Internet for awhile, I've finally narrowed it down to these 2 cameras. When I looked into the Canon more, I read about those E18 errors it gets, but it's apparently fixed now, and that they break easily. But then again, I've read some hardware issues with the Nikon as well. So can anyone recommend one over the other and why?? I know the A70 is a little bit more flashy and better quality, and has better features, but that the Nikon is pretty solid too, and has those "scene modes" where you can adjust the camera to the lighting. I'm not a huge camera buff or anything, but the manual controls the A70 has would probably be a nice addition to what the Nikon doesn't have. So, thoughts??
berndawg84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2003, 2:06 PM   #2

Well, I'm not really sure what kind of experience you have or, what you'll be using the camera for so, I'll take a stab at your request but, don't be offended if I insult you! :-)
You may notice that I own an A70 so, let me tell you what swayed me towards it. First, the complete control, the AF illuminator and, the picture quality. Although I was a little concerned about the issues people had with E18 errors and the likes there of, I decided to try it and, I'm glad I did, Now, the Nikon is a good camera too. I have nothing against it but for me, the A70 was a better route to take. If you're not going to use the manual functions much then, it's pretty much a toss up. Both will give nice pics in the auto mode and, one thing I do like about the Nikon is that it has support for an external flash.

rgds,
Mark
mkoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2003, 7:58 PM   #3

thanks for the reply. It's still a toss up, but I'm leaning more towards the Canon now. At first it was the Nikon because of the E18 errors with Canon, but from what I've heard those have been fixed by now....and of course Canon seems better image quality.

Haha, insulting me...

I'll admit I'm no pro or anything, and I'd probably end up using the auto mode more than the manual controls, but it would still be cool to be able to use those manual modes for certain pictures..
berndawg84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2003, 1:55 AM   #4

this is a crazy topic, i also was having a hard time picking one of these cameras. I did get the Nikon at first and used it for a few days. I took lots of pictures and it seemed to be a good camera. I felt solid and the battery lasted a long time. the software seemed to be alright but not as i expected. I then returned the camera to take a stab at the Canon and let me tell you....WOW it was a much better deal. I focused better at night, i had way more control over the settings, charp pictures ( they only seem soft with the AiAF turned on ). the canon software was also a nice treat. the batteries last forever ( NiMH of corse ) I do have a few complaints about it. the fist one i got had some issues with the LCD display acting funny at night or in low light conditions. I didn't think this was normal so i took it back, I got another A70 and went home put my batteries in it and it sounded like something was going to break when i turned it on, something with the lense when it pops out like a grinding sound. for some reason i don't see how Canon could acualy sell this camera, why cant they make a camera as solid as the NIkon 3100. aside from that i will be getting another A70 and give it a 3rd try, it truly is a great deal and well worth the money. I just hope the next one i get works the way it is intened to. well ok i say go for the canon, a more usfull camera all around.
peter-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2004, 1:24 AM   #5

On paper, yes, the A70 should be a better deal. The numerous issue like image softness has been taken care of etc.. For me the only thing that swing my vote toward the 3100 is the size. It's simply small enough to fit my pants pocket so I can carry it around more often. There is no point having a more superior camera but not having it around with you when you wanted to shot. If you don't have a problem with that, get the A70. Btw, the often complainted about issue of battery performance of the 3100, it has been solved.
tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2004, 8:15 AM   #6

Default Mmmmm....

Yes CP 3100 is better.

Both are 3MP but 3100 has a bigger CCD.
I believe not much but the end it will effect the image quality.
The Conqueror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2004, 2:44 PM   #7

Between canon A70 and nikon 3100 i would go for nikon for itīs reliability and durability , I did not bought Nikon just because it does not record sound. About image qualitie they seem quite similar to me .

regards
pedro nuno is offline   Reply With Quote