Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 19, 2010, 3:38 AM   #1

Default How to take kid indoor picture

Hi All,

I am having trouble taking good Indoor pictures. Like just people talking moving their arms, etc. My pictures turn out blurry. Or even when I try to take pictures of my daughter, it is often blurry. I am using a Pentax k-x with the internal flash. Also, if I use the internal flash, it is either too bright or sometime only 1 spot have light.

I am planning to get a external flash too.

Do you have any advice what type of setting should I use?
raylee011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2010, 4:13 AM   #2

Hi I am sure the blur is slow shutter speed. I dont know your camera but I would think that there is a setting like my canon that gives the option to keep the shutter speed between 60th and max sync speed, mine is 200th. I also have a setting to lock it at 200th all this is in AV mode. Other option is to use TV mode and it should just use max upto max sync.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 4:33 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Do you want the easy fix or the one that gives better result's whilst being a little more complicated?

The easy fix is to use Tv and go for a fast enough shutter speed (max 1/200s I think on that camera, that will probably do the trick.

The better option is to use manual (I rarely do anything else with flash), set and exposure that is about 2 stops under ambient light then the flash will fill in the subject whilst retaining some background. This probably means getting the ISO up quite a bit. There might still be a small amount of blur but not major and the shot shouldn't look over flashed.

Last edited by Mark1616; Oct 19, 2010 at 4:37 AM.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 9:48 PM   #4

Hi Mark,

Sorry about these stupid questions, but what do you mean by 2 stops under ambient light then the flash will fill in the subject? I am so sorry, I guess I could do more research before asking this question.

I have the Pentax k-x, and I am planning to get an external flash. This is what I am getting.

Sigma EF-530 DG Super Shoe Mount Flash for Pentax
Flashpoint Flash Diffuser

Can you help me please?
http://www.adorama.com/SG530PXKA.html
raylee011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 3:12 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Now worry about the questions. If you are not yet happy with exposure do some quick reading up on it (loads of info online) to see how the elements of aperture, shutter speed and ISO affect exposure. Then you see what would give a correct exposure without using flash and make it two stops less/darker.

eg If you shot required 1/10s, f4 and ISO 800 for arguments sake to get the subject exposed correctly you can change the shutter speed, the aperture, the ISO, a combination of 2 or a combination of all 3 to make the the photo darker by two stops. Two stops is halving then halving the light again, so a quarter of the original light.

To do it by shutter speed go from 1/10 to 1/40, by aperture from f4 to f8 and by ISO 800 to ISO 200, this chart might (or might not) help http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.ht...IP%20CHART%20B there is some other info on this page that could be worth a read (I've not really looked at anything else as only found it by a quick google.

I would check the flash is going to work with the K-x, I did see something that there were some compatibility problems with some flash units but really can't remember what.