Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:56 AM   #1

Default Is there any software for reducing the file size of pics transferred from a digicam?

when pics are transferred from a digicam, they are mostly large size(around 2.5 MB). but when opened in paint and saved as a jpeg image, the file size is reduced(around 500 KB). instead of opening each and every image and saving is there any software for doing this? if so, plz gimme the links.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 2:53 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Usually when the size is being reduced then you are also losing some detail. If you are happy with this then there are ways to batch process resizing. Infranview www.irfanview.com allows batch processing of file size so you can do it with that, I'm not sure if you can also batch process the resolution as well (if you wanted to make it smaller that way too).
Old Oct 26, 2010, 3:19 AM   #3

Hi and welcome as Mark said you will loose detail if you reduce the size, can I ask why you want to do this. If its a case of saving hard drive space then maybe a better answer would be to get an external hard drive
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 6:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Usually when the size is being reduced then you are also losing some detail. If you are happy with this then there are ways to batch process resizing. Infranview www.irfanview.com allows batch processing of file size so you can do it with that, I'm not sure if you can also batch process the resolution as well (if you wanted to make it smaller that way too).
I use Irfanview a lot. The menu selection "Batch Conversion" and the "Advanced" gives you these options (see attached). The settings are my usual to convert a dslr image for web display. Usually I make images 1000 pixels wide. If it's in portrait format, I click the radio button to get 600 tall. This way they fit without scrolling in the popular 1048X768 resolution.
Attached Images

frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 6:41 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
I use Irfanview a lot. The menu selection "Batch Conversion" and the "Advanced" gives you these options (see attached). The settings are my usual to convert a dslr image for web display. Usually I make images 1000 pixels wide. If it's in portrait format, I click the radio button to get 600 tall. This way they fit without scrolling in the popular 1048X768 resolution.
Perfect, I have it but haven't used it and guessed there would be someone more clever than I. Thanks for the info, sure this will help the OP a lot.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:20 PM   #6

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

I'll make the point that it is BAD to shrink your original jpegs. Those are the best quality images you'll get from your P&S. Any shrinkage only makes them cruddier. I learned this the hard way with my first P&S and I foolishly tried to save space. Those images are now unusable, wasted, garbage.

Hard disks are CHEAP now, with 1TB (1000GB) drives for around US$100. Compare to my first computer, a HeathKit H8 in 1980, where a 64KB board cost US$800 and 270KB of floppy storage cost US$1200. Don't even ask about hard drives then... and inflation since then is about 400%. Ouch.

Anyway, don't shrink your jpegs, don't even EDIT them. Save them and edit copies, never the originals. Once those originals are mucked with, you can never retrieve the quality, the detail. It's gone forever. Poof. As you learn more about image processing, you'll find ways to may the copies shine.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 9:00 PM   #7

download.cnet.com/Resize/3000-2192_4-52545.html.
Just about the easiest batch resizing you can get. Just drag and drop. No idea about quality though since I just use it for uploading.
Easiest way to reduce file size: reduce resolution in camera. You probably have around a 12mpix camera. Look in the settings menus and set it to about 6. You don't need more unless you are doing bigger than 8x10 (or 11x14).

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 12:58 AM   #8

FastStone Image Viewer 4.2 is a decent editor that will also let you batch convert/resize/compress...

There is also FastStone Photo Resizer 3.0 that has batch conversion...

http://www.faststone.org/

As suggested though, get a LARGE external (or internal) drive to save and store your originals...
They are really cheap these days and well worth the investment... Always use a copy for doing
any PP'ing or resizing...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote