Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 23, 2003, 6:41 AM   #1

Default please! sony 828 or nikon 5700

I read all the reviews, still unsure, sony was highly rated, but few guys complained of poor sony-service. Nikon con. is the poor low light focus. This is my first camera and should last a very long time too.

Regards

Amanda :roll: thanks for a great site!
amanda81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2003, 1:24 PM   #2
csd

I looked at both of these cameras and ended up with the Minolta DiMAGE A1. Take a look at it if you haven't.
My second choice was the Nikon 5700 - I've had an older coolpix the last couple of years and have been happy with the images. The low-light problems definitely scared me away. I shied away from Sony due to my pre-investing with CF cards (had a bunch from my previous camera).
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2003, 2:50 PM   #3

I own the 5700 and bought it several months past. The camera will perform very well in all photographic enviroments including low light conditions. I have been very pleased with my decision to purchase the camera. The Sony has not been reviewed by any of the sites I monitor and can not make comments on it. I have seen some sample pictures that were released and they were very impressive.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2003, 12:35 AM   #4

Default nikon sony reply

Hi

Thanks for all the replies. I will have a look at the min. A1, only I think the MP is about 3, the Nikon are highly rated, but few consumers have serious complaints.
However, NIkon's price is dropping which makes it more attractive

Amanda
Old Dec 25, 2003, 12:51 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by csd
I looked at both of these cameras and ended up with the Minolta DiMAGE A1. Take a look at it if you haven't.
My second choice was the Nikon 5700 - I've had an older coolpix the last couple of years and have been happy with the images. The low-light problems definitely scared me away. I shied away from Sony due to my pre-investing with CF cards (had a bunch from my previous camera).
I hate to break it to you but, the F828 can use CF cards and Microdrives as well as Memory Stick and Memory Stick Pro cards.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2003, 6:51 AM   #6

Default apology csd

HI Thanks Steve for your input. I have decided to go with the Minolta A1, seems like more features and no low light problems even though the image quality of the Nikon appears slightly better.

Sorry CSD, I got confused with Minolta Z1, the Min. A1 is a 5 MP camera.

Will be reading more and more reviews till Feb to buy at the Dubai Shopping festival.

Regards,

Amanda
Old Dec 26, 2003, 11:38 AM   #7

Having just bought the new Sony f828 I'm just becomming familiar with it. I read all the pre production reviews and after some "hands on" familiarization at a local camera store I bought it. However, it would probably have been more prudent to wait for the professional and user reviews on a production unit. I was so mad :evil: at my Minolta DiMage 5 (the umteenth time I missed an important shot because of poor focusing that really couldn't be detected in the evf) that I was determined to replace it immediately damn the cost and the Sony pre production reviews really caught my eye. Sofar I have not been disappointed.
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote