Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 4, 2010, 1:34 PM   #1

Default dslr help

I need some basic help. Is there anywhere on this site, or somewhere else, that maybe lists different settings for different situations? For instance if at the beach on cloudy day/sunny day/dusk which settings to use? Or if out on a nature trail, and want close up, or a landscape shot with everything in focus, or a landscape shot with one thing in focus? I am getting better with my pictures, but always forget when to change to what. I wish there were classes nearby, but is not. Thanks for everyones help.
sbamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2010, 2:17 PM   #2

Not really, it is a more trail by error because you can do so different things.

But if you want to learn some basic dslr technique go to www.dslrtips.com
Old Nov 4, 2010, 8:09 PM   #3

One way to get acquainted with the setting you want to use, is to peruse photo albums at the various photo hosting sites, and look at the Exif info of the pictures you are interested in. Then practice with your camera, trying to duplicate the look of the photos you like. If you just go out and take pictures randomly, you are going to take longer to figure out what it is you are doing (right and wrong). Pbase is one site that has a lot of photos, with albums from some pretty good photographers, and a lot of them include the Exif. The forums here are a good place to start, as well. Check for an Exif reader for your browser, if you don't have one.

brian

Last edited by VTphotog; Nov 4, 2010 at 8:12 PM.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:54 PM   #4

I tried to download an Exif reader (Snapfiles), but guess I'm not doing something right. When I go to that Pbase site, and click on a photo, then right click for properties, I'm not seeing any exif info. I'll keep trying. Thanks
Old Nov 4, 2010, 11:03 PM   #5

on flickr, you can look at different types of photos and on the drop down you can look at the exif data
Old Nov 4, 2010, 11:09 PM   #6

thanks shoturtle, I will give that a try
Old Nov 4, 2010, 11:46 PM   #7

The one I use is PhotoME. It works as a standalone, or with a browser - separate plugin for Firefox. It is well organized and will show an amazing amount of information.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 4:41 AM   #8

Hi and welcome. the beauty of an DSLR is look through thr view finder and you can see your settings. There are 2 ways to set the exposure thats with with aperture and the shutter speed. Aperture settings simply put small fnumber shallow depth of field larger f numbers greater dof. I would look at the type of picture you want to take put your camera in AV setting this gives you control of the aperture, and the camera sets the shutter speed. Take a picture if the shutter speed is to slow open the lens or increase the ISO. It a case then of taken pictures and seeing the results. Good luck
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote