Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:43 AM   #1

Default Need tips new camera and bad night shots :(

welcome people! im a camera NOOB! i picked up a fuji s1800 (found the forum searching for reviews tips etc. on this) price was great and i love the small body vs the pro cameras which im not really into. I also only spent 170 shipped with a case and 4gb memory card so im very happy about that.

my problem- night shots! as you can probably tell from my screen name im a car guy and taking pictures is something i really want to do at family events, but more for car meets which i am at multiple times a week. Most of the lighting at these events is artificial and if it was during the day i would just use an auto setting on the camera but the shots on auto didnt come out that well (unfortunately i am at work and cant post them i will later when i get home though) , but close up shots under artificial lighting in my basement last night came out great! its just when i went to my meet in a parking garage the shots didnt come out that well. (and i am SO mad because this one picture i feel i set up PERFECTLY like suprising for my noobism and on the lcd it looked great but on my comp no beans ull see it when posted) My problem is i know little to nothing about the settings in the many custom modes on this camera. I also understand none of you have the camera infront of you, but if you know some ballpark settings for artificial light shooting at night of cars etc i would REALLY apreciate it

o and...

Get Some
chris

(also sorry for spelling grammer i rushed this at work lol)

Last edited by SRTurboNJ; Nov 19, 2010 at 9:56 AM.
SRTurboNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:14 AM   #2

anyone?
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTurboNJ View Post
...ull see it when posted ...
Seeing the photo would make a response more likely.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 6:57 PM   #4

here they are... it got really grainy

now the bad

Old Nov 19, 2010, 7:01 PM   #5

you have a smaller sensor camera, shooting at high iso, they are not that good. That grain is noise. And there is really not much you can do.

Not sure if you can set your camera to 800iso. And you will have less noise. But the photos will have more motion blur.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 7:08 PM   #6

iso options are... 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400
Old Nov 19, 2010, 7:10 PM   #7

with your camera, do not shoot above 800iso. But that will slow down your shutter speed, so anything with motion will blur.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 7:31 PM   #8

The Exif shows these were shot at ISO 800, and the noise doesn't seem too bad to me. I think the problem is more that you are shooting hand-held, and your shutter speeds are a bit slow for that. Even with stabilization, or a tripod, you will get blur from subject movement. Your last shot shows that the cars are pretty sharp, but the people are a bit blurry. I think the answer here is more light, or a camera with better low light ability.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 6:17 PM   #9

I could say get a better camera. if you could shoot at iso3200 f/2.8, the shutter speed would be much faster. but to work with what you have, you could change your goals. get car shots. your camera isn't very wide angle so try standing 6 or 7 feet from the cars and use your flash. try the standard car show shots and see if you like them. this is the best compilation of auto picture taking tips i've found:
http://www.cobracountry.com/cobra-se...ling-tips.html
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 6:36 PM   #10

i say slow down down shutter speeds and use a tripod
zombz is offline   Reply With Quote